Sign in to follow this  
Slow

New guy with Ranger 700, pls identify my tractor

Slow

Hello from the Netherlands!

I know old cars and bikes but tractors is completely new to me.

I just pulled an old yellow gold coloured Wheel Horse tractor from my dad's garage. It is supposed to be over 30 years old. I have a user manual and a parts manual (original) but still cannot identify the tractor completely.

Browsing this site and the internet also did not bring up any pictures of my tractor.

Anybody here who can help?

WheelHorse.jpg

Any other info on this tractor welcomed. If the collectors value is over 10.000US$

then please send me your bids without delay! :thumbs:

Thanks

John / Slow

T-Mo

John,

:thumbs:

Since it's a Ranger 700, then it's a 1973. Wheel Horse made both the Ranger 700 and Ranger 800 in 1973. The Ranger 800 was also made in 1972.

Again, welcome to the Square.

Sparky

Terry's right, its a "73". Model# 2-0220.

Mike......

Slow

Thanks for the speedy reply!

That thing is almost as old as I am...

So what is with the color? Did they have special colours that year or is it a standard colour? Why do I only see red tractors on the net?

Is it like with old cars and trucks that there are very rare tractors?

I am now reparing it so that it will run but do not want to spoil any

parts which maybe hard to get and I like to keep it as original as possible.

Any pointers that may help me in my quest to make it run and clean it up

as original as possible are welcome.

Thanks again,

John

If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of the manual or parts manual, just let me know.

Sparky

Go to this site https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro and enter the model # I gave you and it'll give you some nice pics of the differant parts of your tractor broke down into catagories for easy browsing. Includes part #'s that are real handy if your searching E-bay.

Or get ahold of Joel on here. He's our local verticle expert.

Mike..........

nylyon

John, :thumbs: I beieve you are our first member from the Netherlands! I have not seen any Wheel Horse models which are painted other than Red, except for some Grey workhorse models. It is possible that in the history of the machine, someone really wanted it to look like a Cub or something and changed the paint. Again Welcome!

T-Mo

Isn't those Ranger from the early '70's used fiberglass body parts? They are prone to fading, but I don't think they would fade to gold/yellow. :thumbs:

Mith

Looks like mine, mine is red though.

If you need any small parts we could work something out, this one is going to be parted out if a guy doesnt call me this week to buy it.

06-03-07_1718.jpg

Slow

Thanks Mr Sparky! Will do.

Nylyon: hmm, from what I know and see is that the paint is original.

My dad bought this tractor from a neighbour when I was stil wearing

diapers and neither of them had it repainted. I'llpost a color pic soon just for

your info.

I also own a 52 GMC pick up and joined a forum for that especially.

For this kind of truck there is a so incredibly much history and stories

available... Is it the same with these tractors? Are there people who eat

breath and sleep these things?

J

Slow

Isn't those Ranger from the early '70's used fiberglass body parts? They are prone to fading, but I don't think they would fade to gold/yellow. :thumbs:

Yes indeed. much is fiberglass.

Maybe they exported in different colours?

@Mith: May I ask what a tractor like yours would go for? (approx)?

T-Mo

For this kind of truck there is a so incredibly much history and stories

available... Is it the same with these tractors? Are there people who eat

YES

There is a history with the Wheel Horse brand and yes, there are people out there who eat, breath, and sleep Wheel Horse. We even have a member who has a tattoo of the logo on his arm. :thumbs:

combatmp29r

John first I want to say :thumbs: . Its great to have another country represented and to have a vertical shaft represented at that :thumbs: No for color, I don't know Wheel Horses foreign sales system, and it is possible that it was sold in a different color other there. Heres a pic of a 1971 Ranger That I own that has faded paint on it, and what to me appears to be a brand new rear body section in stock unpainted color.

lawnrangerfrommike.jpg

And here is a ranger 800 in my herd that has the original US paint scheme on it. Disregard the seat and hood ornanment :D

joelsverts011.jpg

If you have an older Wheel horse dealer around somewhere they might be your best sourse for info on the paint .

Mith

J, I saw a scruffy but working one go on ebay for 200euro if I remember correctly. I think you could get more if you tried and it was in tidy condition. They arent the commonest model over here.

Slow

Ok thanks, now I have an idea about what is going on.

Frankly, for this kind of money it is more fun to just pimp the whole thing

and let the kids use it.

What would be the Rolls Royce of mini tractors?

Mith

What would be the Rolls Royce of mini tractors?

Now there is a question there is no right answer to. You'll get as many opinions as there are people......

pond195520032003

John, :D and glad to see other countries getting involved :thumbs: this is a great site with a great group of tractor lovers :thumbs:

Slow

Cheers!

Hope I can post a pic of my gold yellow tractor soon since you lot are not familiar with it...

Right now I brought it to the local shop for repair. There is something like a regulator lever which doesn't work causing the engine to either run idle or doing overtime...

Also bought a trailer for it to haul some dirt and kids around the garden.

Back in a few...

John

Stigian

:D John :thumbs: Its cool to have someone from another country join in the fun and game here :thumbs:

Slow

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all and Ian, nice to have companion on this side of the atlantic. Those yanks get really weird sometimes so lets stick together!

by the way: Your name "StigIan" doesn't have anyting to do with the Stig in TopGear has it?

Can somebody set me up with an engine partslist /drawing?

(as per my other post

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1535 )

Slow

Sorry it took a while... finally got the tractor back (2 weeks ago) and got some pics.

IMG00488.jpg

IMG00486.jpg

I checked again but there really is no evidence of the thing being painted over

so I guess the color stays a mystery.

So now that it is running again, what else do you guys advice me to do with it? Is there an easy way to tune the engine? And what about the exhaust? It is loud as h3ck...

ttfn

bustedglass

Hi Slow - and :thumbs: from me as well. That gold Ranger 700 is WILD looking, to say the least. I had a 1970 Ranger 700. A great little machine, and I wish I still had it, but that is a whole 'nother story.. Mine was RED, as I thought all Wheel Horses' were. You learn something all the time. I had that little Ranger 700 for 15 years. Bought a B211-3 with a 37" deck, new in 1985, and it's still going strong today. Added a few "custom" touches over the years, just cause I like the way they look :thumbs: . I cut 2 acres of grass every week in season. Just can't stop them horses.

Attached Image

post-3-1207344725.jpg

C-Series14

Welcome! Heck with the Wheel Horse, look at the paver block driveway!!!! THAT is what I like! :thumbs:

T-Mo

That is an odd color. Almost gold. It looks like your son has claimed it as his own. :thumbs:

charger10us

Thats a new coler on me !!! I have had Wheel horse tractors for 36 years & have never seen a factor one painted like that !!! Learn something new!!! :thumbs::thumbs: :D

Rod(NASNUT)

Are there people who eat

:thumbs: Yes we do :thumbs: