Sign in to follow this  
tgranthamfd

Snow Plowing

tgranthamfd

1 quick question, In your opinions using a 42" blade with 80 to 84ish pounds of wheel weights, on a C 160-8 speed, with ag tires and no chains, what would be the best gear to use when plowing? It is not very wet, around 9" of snow with big drifts, will probably be frozen by daylight. May qualify as a dumb question, but I have never done any before. (snow plowing) Started with about 2" of sleet before the snow came. Any help / opinions are welcomed. :notworthy: Terry

christopherX

with any light plowing vehicle the Faster the better as it will keep your momentum up. if it isn't heavy wet snow you shouldn't have a problem as the snow will blow away from the blade. just keep your speed up so the the snow pile will not stall your momentum cause then the pile of snows resistance will overwhelm your traction and stop you so keep it running and ram through the drifts. sleet makes for good traction so you won't have a problem like freezing rain or ice would give you. if the snow drifts are too much for the tractor to even ram through (going the length of your driveway) then you will have to do the "blizzard shovel" which is pushing from the center or one edge of your drive to the other edge of the drive. this is alot of backing up and going forward to eat through big piles a little at a time so hopefully you can power through the drifts all the way down your driveway. (just in case you didn't know since your a southerner-push the snow in the direction of the wind which is usually to the East or it will just blow back and fill in your driveway)heh

have fun...wish we had some here in NW Illinois. looks like we will get mostly rain.

chris :notworthy:

Wheel Horse Fan

I would agree with ChristopherX. We just had 16" of light fluffy snow last week. If I went too slow the pile I was pushing would stop me. Most of the time I used 2nd gear full throttle but sometimes I used 3rd if it was a long run. I to have a 42" plow with 100 lb weights and AGs, no chains. I built some nice 4'+ high snow piles.

Just remeber to have fun out there! :notworthy:

Sparky

Third gear/high range and full throttle or just about full throttle. You need the speed which helps you keep moving thru the slippy spots. Just remember to stab the clutch just before you hit something solid like a froozen pile of snow or a curb. Ramming something solid is never a good idea.

Mike......

rickv1957

Full speed ahead!!!, :notworthy: Rick

wh1257

i ride in the 3 speed high

snow3.jpg

snow2.jpg

snow1.jpg

bork

How does one make 4" high pile? I was outta town & wife said too deep for plow. I said cut a path down center of drive & then angle blade for the sides. But she said snow up to her boots. Can the snow be too deep? How deep is too deep? in relationship to blade? What would be plan of attack? I'm new at this also.

GlenPettit

You know, the Eskimos have 100 different words to describe all the different snows.

And then there is the landscape (trees, drive, slope, buildings), and the Wind.

- - - - -

With a light fluffy unmelted snow on a cold morning, you can easily pile that snow into 4 foot high piles, by driving straight into the pile and pushing itself up (which is a lot of fun).

The Eastern states just got 15" of snow this week, and the Wheel Horse plows would work on that, gradually, and a drive could be cleared with that plow (but a snow thrower would be best for that).

In clearing a drive, nothing beats experience, that's the best teacher. Dry cold snow is very easy, but afternoon wet heavy snow is much more difficult. You have the right idea to start, and weight is the greatest asset when plowing. Good Luck and have fun.

Still eagerly waiting for our first real snow in mid-Michigan.

d180man

Full speed ahead!!!, :notworthy: Rick

We use all speeds but we do a lot of what rick sead full speed you just need to try it and see what works for you ! :thumbs: :WRS:

tgranthamfd

Well, the snow was no problem but the ice under it was. I spent more time spinning that plowing. I couldn't get going real well but I did get to play all day. I think getting out of the yard and back in gave me the most trouble, pretty hilly and nothing but grass undernieth the snow. I did manage to get the road out in front of the house taken care of, and some long high passes made from the corner to the alley. Got some pics but the camera is in the truck and I ain't got no shoes on. I'll put some up tomorrow, if you want. Oh yeah, chains ordered and I'm going to have to eat more or make something to get more weight on the ground. Thanks

pfrederi

Well, the snow was no problem but the ice under it was. I spent more time spinning that plowing. I couldn't get going real well but I did get to play all day. I think getting out of the yard and back in gave me the most trouble, pretty hilly and nothing but grass undernieth the snow. I did manage to get the road out in front of the house taken care of, and some long high passes made from the corner to the alley. Got some pics but the camera is in the truck and I ain't got no shoes on. I'll put some up tomorrow, if you want. Oh yeah, chains ordered and I'm going to have to eat more or make something to get more weight on the ground. Thanks

Chains are invaluable. AG tires are not good on ice. (Nor backing up).

My heavy plowing is done with a DC3 Case Tractor...600lbs of wheel weights and chains. Used my neighbors Farmall M with weights but no chains...pushed the snow pretty good but couldn't back up a slight grade. Ag tires are also known as directional tires for a reason

36 degrees no snow left on the ground 48 mph wind gusts!!!

tgranthamfd

Chains are invaluable. AG tires are not good on ice. (Nor backing up).

My heavy plowing is done with a DC3 Case Tractor...600lbs of wheel weights and chains. Used my neighbors Farmall M with weights but no chains...pushed the snow pretty good but couldn't back up a slight grade. Ag tires are also known as directional tires for a reason

36 degrees no snow left on the ground 48 mph wind gusts!!!

I think my ags are original 1974's, and did all their work forward. The bars are rounded on the front edge and more squared on the rear edge, so I got some real good bite going backwards, actually did a lot of back draging in some of the deep soft stuff. Probably wouldn't hurt to get some new tires too.

tgranthamfd

Hey wh 1257, what kind and size tires are on the rear of your WH??

d180man

Hi yes chains are the best for ice!! ag tires just dont help on the ice! :notworthy: they are more for dirt! we have had to put chains on big tractor to push snow!!

but nice tractor and love to see more photos! :thumbs: :WRS:

tgranthamfd

Can the snow be too deep? How deep is too deep? in relationship to blade? What would be plan of attack? I'm new at this also.

There were some spots that I hit with the blade raised, then came back and did it again with the blade down. I had to shovel out the drive to get the tractor up in there, then do the bump shove forward and backward thing, to get it cleared out.