Sign in to follow this  
~ETC~

Peerless 669 transmission issues

~ETC~

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE LEFT SIDE SPIDER GEAR ON THE AXLESHAFT IN A 4 SPEED PEERLESS 669 TRANSMISSIONS DIFFERENTIAL.

THIS MAKES THE 4TH TRANS THAT THE SPIDER GEAR SPLIT IN HALF AND BLEW A HOLE THROUGH THE TRANSMISSION CASE.

AND I WAS ONLY PLOWING 3-4INCHES OF SNOW :notworthy:

HAS HAPPENED TWICE ON EACH OF MY WHEEL HORSES....THE B-111 (COMPLETELY FACTORY WITH ALL TERAIN TIRES AND SNOW CHAINS) AND THE B-81(B-81 MOTOR REPLACED WITH I/C 15HP BRIGGS W/ LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL AND CRANK ALSO A 2 1/2 INCH LARGER PULLEY ON ENGINE)

IS THERE ANOTHER TRANS THAT WILL FIT ON MY WHEELHORSES THAT IS HEAVIER DUTY?

OH YEAH... POSSIBLE PARTS MAY COME UP FOR SALE.

if i cannot find any heavier duty transmissions i will be purchasing another b-111 and an unknown b-??1 for $100 for the pair running an driving with mower decks

Sparky

Well to be honest, your asking to much of that tractor and any of the tractors in that catagory. That would be the "lawn tractor" catagory. Your tractor was meant for mowing and light towing of a cart. I know they put out a plow for it and probably some other attachments but the trannys are not bullit-proof and dont stand up to that kind of use to well and definitely not after 30+ years of that type of work.

If your serious about doing lawn care/ winter snow clearing/ and maybe a garden, then start looking for a "garden tractor". You could find a B-80 or a C-81 which has less horse power than your B-111 but is way more capable of handling any of the chores you might need to tackle and the rear axle is the famous Uni-Drive made with cast iron :notworthy: .

Just my opinion....

Mike..........

~ETC~

so theres no way to change my transmission to something else?

and i know im asking alot of the black b-81 mower i mean ive gone rock crawling, hill climbing, mud bogging, and even got the ocasional +5ft of

but pushing 3 inches of snow an breaking without warning ... the spider gear broke in half! to be that should be one of the stronger parts.

i do have a remedy but i didnt want to do that to the b-111 cus all i do is weld whats left of the spider gears together an make a piece of steel to cover the hole and jb weld it till it doesnt leak.

anyway heres how they look.....

my black b-81

100_0003.jpg

100_0004.jpg

notice the rebarb supporting the rear end mounting... thats because this isnt the first time.... the last trans after i "fixed" it it was full time posi an the rear end would tweak when going into a turn at full speed of around 25mph

an here is the red b-111 which i just recently cleaned up an tried to make it nice

100_0005.jpg

100_0010.jpg

is there a way to put a uni drive in?

Kelly

Well if you must have a vert shaft machine find a late 60's comando V7 or V8 they had a unidrive that is set up for the vert motors.

Your asking way to much from a lawn mower, it's not a tractor

~ETC~

is there a way to get a trans from a cub cadet or simplicity or alice chalmers to work in a wh?

fabrication wont be an issue as i have everything i could possibly need to make any kind of bracket and so on

rocking 416

Dude you remind me of my self mud bogging with tractors!! we used to wait until winter an play with them on the pond when it iced over with inner tubes man i miss the old days i had a 1976 case 108 same peerless trans with 14 twin cylender briggs swaped the cast fly wheel for a aluimnum one off a 18hp it eved up fast to fast shot the push rod thru the valve cover lol an broke rocker arm. the only problem i had with peerless trans was the snap rings for the axels poping off but i had older cast iron case. if i was you an you know how to fab up stuff id get a peerless 5 speed. fords. john deeres, few others used them they have creeper gear but the drive pulley is on the side but there very strong trans

~ETC~

if i was you an you know how to fab up stuff id get a peerless 5 speed. fords. john deeres, few others used them they have creeper gear

>>>>>>>>> but the drive pulley is on the side<<<<<<<<<

but there very strong trans

theres my problem side shaft drive....

all my built up engines are vertical shaft

i have around 5-6 +12 hp industrial commercial engines that i milled the flywheels and machined the cranks, port an polished some have 80cc dirtbike carbs some just have bored out factory carbs with over bore jets.

so if i were to get a side shaft wheel horses....about the only engine i would put on it...

(and i am planning to do this once ive aquared the wheelhorse and the funds)

is to put my 1971 ski-doo nordic 640cc rotax bombardier engine on to it which has been bored and ported along with a vintage early 70's hurst airheart solid state ignition box

so if anyone knows of an easy to find heavy duty vert shaft tranny that dont require too much fabrication to put in please let me kno and i can easily track somethin down that the trans is in... preferably with the shifter in same location as peerless 669. so i dont have to fabricate shifter linkage

i know quite a few older guys who work on small engines cus their retired an have fields full of ridin mowers that i can get for $50 and less. even some super heavy duty diesel ones from early to late 60s but i dont like thoes to big and heavy...they tend to sink in the mud and never budge again

eventually i wana build up a race wheel horse for the super mod class of lawnmower racing (60mph+^ is my goal)

rocking 416

Try a mule drive dood look how wheel horse runs horazontail belt to vertical lol

baerpath

Have you tried using a peerless from a JD 110/112 ?? Look at a Gilson peerless to get an idea how they flip the belt. A friend pulls one with a down shaft 18hp in it.

~ETC~

horizontal to vert seems prone to slip an wear the belts odd at the speeds an rpms we run our mowers

rickv1957

Maybe you could get a little stronger built model wheelhorse,Rick :notworthy:

~ETC~

lol another wheel horse heavier duty would be nice but ive only come acrost a 8 speed hi/lo gear work horse.. too new for my likeing and way too much $ they wanted $200 for me but to anyone else it was for sale for $300... i didnt want to buy it for another reason also... i found out the guy paid a kid $60 worth of an illegal substance to give it to him.. so it was stolen

and my other problem is.........

:notworthy: WHEEL HORSES ARE VERRY HARD TO COME BY AROUND HERE :thumbs:

ive only seen 4 wheel horses in person ever.....2 of them i bought

one was too nice for me... i prefer to destroy tractors that are old and junky, not nice restored ones.

99% of mowers i buy dont run so i yank the motors an slap one of my "tuned" motors on. then take the non runing engine an tinker with it til it runs an then modify them for more power and rpms. then they sit on the shelf till needed

~ETC~

images from trans on black b81

100_0068.jpg

the strap is holding the broken piece of casing in place

100_0070.jpg

metal shavings

100_0071.jpg

full time posi!

100_0072.jpg

more metal shavings

100_0074.jpg

the culprit of a non moving mower.....

top gear is first gear. bottom gear is the idk is it the pinion gear? its the gear that is driven by the small gear the drive pulley is attached to

100_0075.jpg

if anyone can sell me these two gears and the half of the casing that is broken along with one spider gear ill be set... i can then repair my nice b111 and rig the b81 back together

parts needed:

1.non power wheel side spider gear (left)

2.left side diff. cover casing

3.1st gear

4.pinion driven gear

i prefer all parts used.....new parts are too hard to find and cost more

Matthew hurst

I'm in PA and have a parts trans out of a Jacobsen Lt750. It needs an oil seal thats all