Sign in to follow this  
USHorse

Points Location

USHorse

Project Tractor - have a K341S on a 416-8 and want to check the gap on the points. Where the heck are they? Under the engine shroud?....searched past topics and found one disccusion describing a tin box on the right front of the engine mounted with two srews....nothing like that on my 416. Could the previous owner bypassed / removed the points and still have a running engine? It does run, but misfires at high rpm and backfires when throttled down quickly.

Carb was messed as gas was blowing out the carb's at low idle so I had that rebuilt (Brian Miller's) and is in route back home to me now.....but wanted to check points and try to learn something while I was at it.....any help would be great. Would pics help?

:notworthy:

rickv1957

If your engine is a magnum,they have no points,they have a magneto ignition,Rick

USHorse

Not a Magnum.....K-Series equipped with a battery ignition

Kelly

Well if it's a K series then from the seat, they are on the right side of the engine in front, some times you have to look behind the muffler, they are in a tin box about 1" wide and 2.5" long with two screws holding it to the block, some are a pain to get the screws out from around the muffler.

USHorse

Found.....recommendation from ancient Chineese proverb

"One should degrease engine once in a while so one can actually see cover screws"

Thank you again :notworthy:

gwgdog66

Look directly under the govenor arm lower left in this photo. It is the points cover.

DSC00019.jpg

Oh I see you found it. I was a few minutes slow on the post :notworthy: