Sign in to follow this  
WH Raider 10

GPH for your Tractor

WH Raider 10

I know this is pretty hard to do without an hour meter. but how long do your guy's tractors last until you need to refill?

Thanks

:notworthy: Dan B.

Coadster32

My rear end tells me to get off my Charger12 long before I run out of gas. (Doesn't help much huh?)

Confused99

Not sure on that but I hear the Onan's are VERY thirsty :notworthy: . I filled my 520 up for the first time tonight so I will let you know after some snow blowing the next couple days.

Jason

Ken B

I have an rpm and hour gauge on my 69 Electro 12. I'll fill er up tomm. and I'll keep track of the fph. It might be awhile before I get back to ya though. :notworthy:

WH Raider 10

it was just a little thought i had while sitting here reading the new posts. I was reading the cab thread and thought; "Hmm if your tank is under the hood that means you basically have to take the cab off to fill the tank." and then figured if you have a tank under the hood you better have good GPH.

rickv1957

If I remember right,the two gallon under hood tank would last about 2-1/2 hours while mowing with a C120,Rick

WH Raider 10

:notworthy:

:thumbs: Dan B.

Confused99

If I remember right,the two gallon under hood tank would last about 2-1/2 hours while mowing with a C120,Rick

Sounds about right. My yard take ~1 hour and I can mow it with my Raider 12, 2 times before I need to fill up.

Jason

dr74go

I have a 1990 520H. I don't know the size of the tank, but it is less than 5 gallons. If I remember correctly I can mow about 2 to 2 1/2 hours per tank. It takes about an hour to mow the yard and I think I can mow twice without refueling. I have only ran it out of gas once and that was just to see how long it would run on a tank. That was at the first of the season, so I can't remember if it was in the second or third hour. I normally refill before mowing each time.

captjake

My 8 hp 4 speed uses about 1 1/8 gallons in 2 hours.

scifi4all

I don't know what my mpg is but my cab has two zippers in the front to allow the hood to open for access to the gas tank.

gwgdog66

I get 2 hrs and 20 minutes on my C-160 mowing full throttle with a full tank. It holds just over 2 gallons.

Save Old Iron

You could actually figure it out mathematically.

Take the cylinder volume and figure that you should have about .. oh ... approximately a 14.7 : 1 ratio of air to fuel .. then multiply by 3600 rpm to get to total air displacement of the cylinder per minute - multiply by 60 to get air volume per hour and then find the necessary fuel to give that air volume a 14.7:1 ratio of air / fuel.

divide the gallons present in your fuel tank by the gallons per hour needed to achieve the correct air / fuel ratio and .... viola

theoretical gallons per hour !!

the big decider here - cylinder volume ( roughly your horsepower rating )

cuz there is no free lunch ladies and gentlemen

Bow_Extreme

Yes, the 520H Onan motor loves fuel!! I burned a bit of fuel while using my 520's at various tasks. Tilling clay seems to use even more fuel....Hmmmm I wonder why. :notworthy: I wouldn't buy a horse if your looking for fuel efficiency. Keep the zero turn for that.

pfrederi

The C-175 and 418 are right about 2 hours per tank (just under 2.5 gals as I leave a little room) mowing

Haven't figured it out for snow blowing (I am not going to spend 2 hours blowing snow :notworthy:

linen beige

I've mowed nearly three hours at a time with my 857 on about a gallon of gas.

My 702 will work HARD pushing dirt or snow for most of a day on one gallon.

My 1054A will burn about two and a half gallons in three hours or so of box grader use or mowing.

My Onan powered D-160 uses a quart or so just warming up.

nick909

I have a 1990 312-H and a 1994 416-H. Cutting the same amount of grass I don't see a lot of difference in fuel consumption between the two. I run the Kohler at WOT and the Onan about half throttle, because I don't need to run the Onan at WOT to do the job.

Jim_M

Nick,

You really should run the Onan at full throttle whether you need to or not. It was designed to be run at full throttle and it won't cool properly if you're working it at half throttle. Also the hydro pump was designed to run with the engine at full throttle. It won't cool properly at half speed. The money you save on gas by running half throttle won't go far towards repairing either the engine or the hydro pump.

Jim

SALTYWRIGHT

HI......MY 417-8 WITH A 10 HORSE POWER DIESEL BURNS LESS THAN A QUART PER HOUR AT 3/4 SPEED. THAT IS FOR PLOWING SNOW.

MY 257-H BURNS ONE GAL. PER HOUR DOING THE SAME WORK.

THE DIESEL HAS WORKED OUT VERY GOOD. RUSS :notworthy:

WH Raider 10

I really like the diesel engines. My dad thinks they are bad because they are hard to start in the winter. i said bah! just get a engine heater and were set!

Thanks for all the posts guys!

Craig Arndt

Filling my 416-8 will get me about 2.5 hours of cutting with it filled to the brim. Pushing snow I use a lot of fuel- must be the cold temps and oomf needed to push the stuff around. :thumbs:

rickv1957

The twin onans are a bit thirsty,Rick

546cowboy

Personally I don't care how much fuel my 1990 520H uses, I love that tractor. It does use quite a bit more than my 1988 516H though.

About that half throttle thing, from what I have read if you only run it that way you are going to really hurt that Hydro.

nylyon

Although I never really measured it, it seems to me that my Onan powered 416-H uses about the same as my Kohler 414-8. The big difference is that Onan is soooooo much smoother.