Sign in to follow this  
lehmansouth

kohler k301 engine question

lehmansouth

I have a wh 312-8, circa 1985 with a kohler k301s engine, spec 47812. I know that there is at least a broken piston and may have additional internal damage. I am not up to doing a rebuild myself since the last one I tried I put the piston cap on backwards and made my JD even worse. in other words, a clutz. So, is there a replacement engine that fits here? Does anyone know of a source for used kohler engines?

A local small engine repair shop will fix it for an estimated $800 US and I understand a short block would cost about $1,100. Would anyone have advice on most economical, but long term fix for this?

combatmp29r

Lehman. :thumbs: Keep an eye on Ebay there are sometimes some good K series engines on there for sale at a decent price. Where exactly are you located? There may be someone on here that has a replacement engine they would sell you. You should probably post a thread in the wanted section of the classifieds on here.

mack1605

:thumbs:

lehmansouth

Thanks. I am in Columbia SC and would appreciate any leads anyone has.

T-Mo

:thumbs: If you last rebuild didn't go well, maybe now you will have some reference point to try and tackle this one. I'm assuming you have the manual and with members help here, and with your prior experience, though bad, might be what you need to try it again.

Greg B.

:thumbs:

Greg B.

Mith

Glad you joined Jim.

Guys, we were discussing via email if a M12 would fit it to replace the K301, would it just drop in or are there differences between the K and the M?

perry

i know my first 7hp vertical rebuild was'nt the greatest. learn from your mistakes right?. if you want to tackle it again i am sure there is enough knowledge on this site to walk you threw it. it helps to have the proper tools also. best is to take it to a engine rebuild place and they will check it, bore or hone it, resurface the crank and you should be able to get them to install the piston, rod, and crank all for around $100 to $150.

i know a guy that takes his engines to a local older auto engine rebuild place and they charge him $110 to do the above work. but he has to supply the rebuild kit.

kohler rebuild kit around $100. and make sure to inspect the block for any damage before going any further. oh ya, and the kit cant be ordered untill the engine specs have been measured.

Rollerman

It's the oil pan mounting lugs you need to watch.

Wheel Horse used a certain type where to bolts grabed the lugs & the other to threaded into taped holes at the bottom of the block.

The M12 & K301 I believe are the same block & you may be able to swap the oil pan if that were an issue provideing it's the same dimension internally as the other.

You could also drill new holes in the frame too & use J hooks on the side that hangs over.

I have seen it before & always though it looked rigged..... :thumbs:

Some had the fuel tank mounted on the shroud too...another "may be a clearance issue" thing

The M12 probably has a larger shroud too...depending on what model of Horse you may need to watch for clearance on the hood.

Since you have a 312-8 speed it should have plenty of room.

Your tape measure will be your best bet if you can get dimensions on the "M"

I have a 300 series 312A with the M12 in it....they are nice engines.

perry

here is one. not sure about shipping .

12hp kohler k301

T-Mo

here is one. not sure about shipping .

12hp kohler k301

I wonder where in mid Missouri. I'll have to check that phone prefix to get a bead on the location. Wonder if it will fit my C-141? Provided, of course, that Jim here doesn't want it. Wouldn't want to do any sniping here. :thumbs: