Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Accel Coil

Prater

Anyone use an Accel single fire super coil for Harley Davidson on their twin Kohler? I am adding one to my D180 in place of the two 12Volt coils that were wired in. Just wondering if there is any tips or tricks I should know to protect the ignition system.

Thanks

rickv1957

I did buy a 180 a while back with a Harley coil,it ran great but have changed it back to the original.Rick

Don1977

I did buy a 180 a while back with a Harley coil,it ran great but have changed it back to the original.Rick

Rick how was the coil mounted on the engine?

TT

Here's a link to the last discussion:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=13230

The "old-school" H-D Prestolite coil and the ones used on the big K series twins might even be one in the same. :notworthy: They certainly look very similar.

Prater

TT, I have read that thread already. I was specifically wondering if anyone had used the coil that I was planning to use. Its a single fire that I will have to cross the two negative posts on. I was able to get it for about half the cost of a Dual Fire that only has one positive and one negative terminal. Mine has one positive and two negative terminals and runs 3 ohms.

TT

Theoretically ( :notworthy: ) you should be able to run a jumper wire between the two negative posts and use the single points lead to fire both coil "halves" simultaneously.

Prater

Here is how I have it wired in so far. I made a bracket out of some scrap aluminum. No more wire ties holding on the coils... I need to get some new plugs and plug wires. I will probably just make my own wires from a kit if I can find it in the attick.

IMG_1741.jpg

here was the before pic

IMG_1730.jpg

rickv1957

Steven your mounting of coil looks great!!!,Rick