Sign in to follow this  
dscott2000

K181s Oil leak

dscott2000

Ok, I need some help. I have a pretty major oil leak on my k181s. The oil is coming out of the govenor shaft. Just where it goes in the block. Is there any way to keep it from leaking or leaking so bad?

rickv1957

I am wondering if your valve cover-crankcase vent assembly is installed correctly,sounds like you have to much crankcase pressure or your engine is getting tired,Rick

• Like 1

dscott2000

I am wondering if your valve cover-crankcase vent assembly is installed correctly,sounds like you have to much crankcase pressure or your engine is getting tired,Rick

Thats the thing.. I pulled the head off of it just yesterday and there are still hone marks in the cylinder. I think what you said about it being installed correctly may be the answer. I really am in the dark on this one. I am used to working on Briggs motors and Tecumseh motors. So, Kohlers are a little out there for me.

Rollerman

Is oil comeing out the governor shaft or the valve cover/breather?

The governor sit's up pretty high & seems unlikely a lot of oil would come out of that point before escapeing the valve cover/breather.

I'd clean the engine best you can & double check where the oil is leaking at.

If it's the breather new gaskets are cheap, but a leak there may also mean other problems like worn rings.

It could be also the brass nut that retains the governor shaft is wore oblonged & may need replaced.

• Like 1

dscott2000

Is oil comeing out the governor shaft or the valve cover/breather?

The governor sit's up pretty high & seems unlikely a lot of oil would come out of that point before escapeing the valve cover/breather.

I'd clean the engine best you can & double check where the oil is leaking at.

If it's the breather new gaskets are cheap, but a leak there may also mean other problems like worn rings.

It could be also the brass nut that retains the governor shaft is wore oblonged & may need replaced.

When the engine is running, I can see oil bubbling out of the govenor shaft. I have cleaned the engine a number of times and it comes from there. Do you have any idea how much that retaining nut costs? Just asking.

rickv1957

Call AES in Olathe,They will have the part,Rick

dscott2000

Call AES in Olathe,They will have the part,Rick

Thanks for the info Rick! I will call them tomorrow. Any help is greatly appreciated!

rickv1957

When you visit AES,they can show you a breakdown for the vent just in case,Rick

TT

230476-S should be the part number for the governor bushing/nut.

Make sure you pull the breather apart regardless. If it's assembled incorrectly, it can't vent the crankcase causing oil to push out of every conceivable (and some inconceivable) places,

Here's the IPL for the breather itself (and the part numbers for the gaskets, filter, and seal :notworthy: ):

SBKbreather.jpg

The inner plate has to be installed exactly as pictured. The reed must be on the outside of the plate and to the right, with the small drain-back hole on the bottom and to the right of the mounting stud hole:

K-161Hobie032.jpg

Make sure nothing is blocking the oil return hole on the "floor" of the valve spring cavity.

• Like 1

rickv1957

Terry I figured that is where Scott has his oil leak,needed that picture :notworthy: Rick

dscott2000

Ok, I will check that out here in about an hour. I will keep you posted.