Sign in to follow this  
VinsRJ

RJ35 Brake Kit Install Request

VinsRJ

Hello, I

clintonnut

Hi Vince,

My brake kit has a cable. That is what most have. I have never seen the rod style on a 35.

Charlie

stevebo

Vince,

Talk to Fireman as he measured up my brake system and put it on his cad. The rod was used for 55's only the rest were cables. Mine has the rod so you may have to tweek is a little. My rod attaches under the brake and the cable systems are above :thumbs: Give me a call tonight and I can explain further. I will seel if I have any pics too.

Do I sense someone is starting a restoration :notworthy: ??

VinsRJ

Vince,

Talk to Fireman as he measured up my brake system and put it on his cad. The rod was used for 55's only the rest were cables. Mine has the rod so you may have to tweek is a little. My rod attaches under the brake and the cable systems are above :thumbs: Give me a call tonight and I can explain further. I will seel if I have any pics too.

Do I sense someone is starting a restoration :notworthy: ??

Steve thanks for the info. Seeing that my RJ35 is a 1956, it

Wheelhorsestory

Hi Guys,

I found this older post and thought it was a great topic!  I have had some early Ride-Away Juniors (RJ-35) that had the rod and some that had the cable. These were original 1955 tractors, so as with all of the tractors produced early on, I would venture to say that some of the later 1955 models had the cable operated brake. The rods often would hit the bottom of the shroud. The other consideration is that these brake kits were sold separately and therefore could have been purchased at a dealer and installed on a 1955 tractor at some later date.  I know that if I bought one of these tractors and then experienced the downhill free-wheeling, I would probably add the brake kit.   We have to remember that just because the calendar page was flipped to the New Year, it was not a definitive model year delineation that we see in automobiles. In other words, they may have switched from the rod to the cable in, let's say November 1955, or even after the new year.  Other examples of this can be found in the rims, steering wheels, frame details, hitch assembly, and even decals and paint color schemes.

Don't you just love this type of stuff?  I enjoy it as well as seeing the zeal that is shared among enthusiasts.

Enjoy,

Mike

• Like 3