Sign in to follow this  
brybrychrismer

1962 552

brybrychrismer

:thumbs: I am going to going to look at a 1962 552 what engine should it have the guy said that it has a 7hp kohler on it so i want to make sure thats right?

:notworthy:

Bryan

wallfish

According to WH all years

552 Tecumseh HT55C-3089 5.5 hp

Many would consider the Kohler an upgrade but I like to keep'm original if possible

rickv1957

I agree with John on the original part :notworthy: Rick

Kelly

if you find one with a 5.5 lauson still on you better buy it, the engine is worth more than the tractor, I bought a 552 with no engine and it's getting a 7hp kohler and will become a 702 with a few other changes, if done right no one will ever know.

418a

if you find one with a 5.5 lauson still on you better buy it, the engine is worth more than the tractor, I bought a 552 with no engine and it's getting a 7hp kohler and will become a 702 with a few other changes, if done right no one will ever know.

Curious what a 5.5 looks like ? Brian

brybrychrismer

thanks for the info. as for the 5.5 lauson i think the main feature that gives them away is the up draft carb.

sorekiwi

Curious what a 5.5 looks like ? Brian

The H55 is very similar to the H60 Tecumseh, the giveaway is a slightly different cover on the PTO side of the engine, due to the fact that the H55 has an internal oil pump. The engine used in these models had a normal sidedraft carb.

IMG_1667-1.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

This is the recoil start version from a 502, the 552 used an electric start.

FWIW I replaced this engine with a 7hp Kohler and love it! The Tecumseh sits on the shelf...

418a

Thanks Mike,Learn something new everyday :notworthy: They are some neat little engines!! Brian

Suburban 550

Changed my 502 to a 702. I originally bought the tractor as a 502 with the incorrect engine. It had a pull start 6 h.p. tecumseh and I replaced it with a 7 h.p. Kohler with electric start to make it a 702. It's not too hard to do. :notworthy:

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

418a

Ray,That's Sweet!!!! :notworthy: Brian

dkopp

Wouldn't putting an electric start on it make it a 752 instead of a 702? I'm really starting to like the looks of those tractors in that year range with the open fenders and built-in gas tank. Great looking machine. :notworthy:

Kelly

I got lucky and found a 702 engine with the correct gen. belt guard that is smooth, no round bump or ribs.

and not all the numbers run true to the number system a 702 is a electric start.

dkopp

I stand corrected on the numbering system...thanks for setting me straight on that one Kelly. I guess I should have known that they all didn't follow the system, i.e. the 633.

rickv1957

Ray,that is a super nice tractor!!!!,Rick

Coadster32

I echo the others, that is one sweet ride!! :notworthy:

linen beige

Just curious. Could this be a 702 with a 552 belt guard?

stevasaurus

Kelly...having both a 702 and a 502 with the 5.5...I would know if you changed it. :thumbs: No...I probably wouldn't be able to tell.

Ray...nice horse...maybe 5/702. :notworthy: