Sign in to follow this  
Dave M

Kohler M16 rebuild

Dave M

I am finally reassembling my 16 HP Kohler Magnum engine. In the process of reinstalling the cam shaft I might have flipped the rod that runs through the hollow cam and I'm wondering whether this matters. Can anybody tell me if this rod is tapered and needs to be installed in one direction only? It has a shiney end and a painted (black) end. I'm thinking the shiney end is the end covered by the cup shaped plug. And, on the bearing plate, I've come to realize that I had three of the thin paper shims between the block and the plate itself. I only ordered one shim and the gasket thinking that's all there was. How critical are these shims? Thanks for any help.

sorekiwi

I dont remember the cam pin being tapered or having a big and small end, Dave. But I think that on most of mine the end on the "outside" of the block was rusty enough to be fairly obvious which way round it was... :notworthy: The Kohler manual makes no mention of there being a right way around for the pin.

As far as the shims and gasket on the bearing plate, that is how you set the end float on the crank. I dont know if the Magum is the same, but the K series 16hp specs are .003 - .020 so it is a pretty big window you can hit... I'd see what you have, and if you need to buy another shim ( or reuse one of your old ones...)

Hope this helps...

Dave M

Thanks, Mike. I ordered a couple more shims today. I hope they do the trick.

big mike

I was under the impression that the M series was a K series with a magneto ignition and different sheet metal.If that is the case the cam pin is supposed to be removed and installed from one end.

Dave M

Mike, I think you are correct. If I'm not mistaken, I saw a K341 stamped on the side of my block. And, the camshaft pin is driven out from the PTO side, and back in from the Bearing Plate side. I would guess that the hole in the PTO side is tapered, not the pin itself. Thanks for the input.