Sign in to follow this  
kajamo240

Fly Wheel

kajamo240

I just went out to try to take the fly wheel off of my k181 and I accomplished........FRUSTRATED! :thumbs:

I took off the flywheel screen and the center bolt and tried to bang it loose but no go...

Borrowing a gear puller from the father in law tomorrow and hoping that works.

I have been dreaming of snowblowing since mid spring and frustrated as heck that I can't yet! And I thought I was all ready to go! Boo!

Any secrets or suggestions that can help me along my way?

~~ Also, the starter gear retracted from the gear ring when I touched it... is that normal? ~~ :notworthy:

TJ

I put a nut on the threads and used a stearing wheel puller. When I had tightened it as far as I dared and it still didn't move, I took a hammer and hit the center of the puller with solid but gentle rap. It popped right off.

Tom

Save Old Iron

~~ Also, the starter gear retracted from the gear ring when I touched it... is that normal? ~~ :notworthy:

The starter gear should retract to a relaxed position anytime the starter motor is not spinning. Check for significant rusting on the starter gear teeth or the flywheel teeth - also damaged teeth of the flywheel

Otherwise - lubrication of the starter shaft or starter rebuild may be needed.

kajamo240

I know that in the past you were able replace just the teeth (Starter Gear) on the starter. Is this still the case? Because the starter works and would hate to have to replace the whole thing... $$$

The teeth are ground down on both the starter and the fly wheel gear ring. Hoping that flipping the gear ring around will hold me over for the winter to at least allow me to do some snow blowing.

I found that I need a harmonic gear puller to get the fly wheel off and will be doing that tonight and hopefully not breaking anything. <_<

can whlvr

does your flywheel have 2 threaded holes in it that u screw 2 bolts in and they push the flywheel off,i dont know about thek181 but my k 341 has these and the flywheel came off easier than the screen bolts

kajamo240

Yeah it does. I borrowed the gear puller and got the flywheel and gear ring off but now I cant get the gear ring off of the flywheel... :notworthy:

Any suggestions? I tried pounding on it and it just wont budge!

big mike

Matt,the ring gear can be heated to a point it will come off but it is going to take an oxy/fuel torch and a heating head(rosebud).Once you get it off you can flipit over and put it back on.

buckrancher

does your flywheel have 2 threaded holes in it that u screw 2 bolts in and they push the flywheel off,i dont know about thek181 but my k 341 has these and the flywheel came off easier than the screen bolts

Do not use these holes for jack screws

they are for using a puller.You could screw the bolts right thru the alum.side cover

in to the crankcase trying to remove the flywheel that way(jack bolts)

rickv1957

Iam with Tom the steering wheel puller is the way to go for sure!,Rick

VinsRJ

If you heat that flywheel up with a torch to get the ring gear off make sure you let it cool slowly after the swap. Kohler iron flywheels are not made of the best casting material and could be weakened if cooled off to fast.

kajamo240

Thanks for the tips guys. The only heating element -->? that I have access to is a simple propane torch. I think I am going to just get a new flywheel and gear ring since I just purchased a new bendix gear for my starter.

Thanks!

can whlvr

good info on the puller,i must have got lucky,no damage when i did mine but it came off pretty easy too.