Sign in to follow this  
Dale

kohler

Dale

is there a way to tell the date of a kohler? i just bought a 416-8 the engine looks better than the tractor is there a way can you tell if it has been replaced with a new engine

Rideawaysenior

Well, I could be way off on this but I don't think so unless you were able to get a production chart from Kohler. Two different series of Kohlers were used in the 416-8. There was the standard K series and then when the years progressed, Kohler came out with the M series. You can tell by sight as the K series have a rounded shroud at the top, and the M series is square. Find the production date of your machine, and if you have 1986 or newer, it should have the M series engine.

That being said, if the tractor is a pre '86 and is has an M series, the engine was replaced.

Jack

Cody

It is possible that the engine may have been replaced with a new short block or long block,

Dale

it's a k341

Rideawaysenior

Okay, now to find the production year of your tractor and then we should be able to find out more.

TT

is there a way to tell the date of a kohler? i just bought a 416-8 the engine looks better than the tractor is there a way can you tell if it has been replaced with a new engine

The serial number of the engine:

kohleridentification.jpg

The engines were painted by their manufacturer, not Wheel Horse, and Kohler actually used primer and a better all-around process. It's not unusual to see a rusted brown tractor with a decent looking red (or black) engine under the hood. :notworthy:

If the engine has been mini-blocked, or shortblocked by an authorized dealer or repair center, a sticker with the proper I.D. (included with the replacement) is supposed to be applied to the blower housing.

From what I can see in your pictures in the other post, the engine looks original to the tractor.