Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Probably a dumb question.

bo dawg

Up to this point when winter comes on I've never had to used my tractors. And during the winter I leave the 30 wt oil in the engine till spring when I then change it out with new.

So my question is can you still start it up while its cold out to move it around if need be without hurting the engine with the heavier oil? I realize in winter you would change the oil to a lighter wt. if using the tractor. They are stored inside unheated. I feel stupid for asking but I've never had to mess with them during cold season but don't want to screw them up either.

Jim_M

You won't hurt anything if it's just done occasionally, unless it's bitter cold out there. Just let it warm up a little at 1/4 throttle before you move it or go higher on the throttle position.

Ken B

Personally, I'd switch over to 10w30 if you are going too start it or move it around. When its freezing out 30 wt oil pours like molasses and I'd hate to be starting a cold motor with oil as thick as molasses as a lubricant. Alot of the time the battery won't even be able too crank the motor over with 30 wt. in it when its freezing out.