Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Muffler Rust

rmaynard

With the price of mufflers these days, I was wondering if there is a solution to the age-old problem of muffler rust. I know that most mufflers rust from the inside out, but other than having a muffler custom made from stainless steel, or ceramic coated steel, is there a solution?

I just paid $100 for a muffler (off eBay) that only cost me $35 back in 2001. Dealers, if they have them, are asking anywhere from $140.00 to $300.00.

I know that I will get responses that say make modifications and just use a pepper-pot muffler for $12.00 from Lowe's, but I want to keep the restoration as close to original as possible. This one will be good for a couple of years, but the future is what I am concerned about.

Bob in Maryland

526e3ca1-1.jpg

rickv1957

Mufflers will be an ongoing problem but I aways repaint mine once a year to help,Rick

rmaynard

Do you repaint with any special paint?

Ken B

I haven't tried it yet but this spring I'm going to try some paint for painting barbecues. It comes in spray cans and also available in cans for brush applications. I think Rustoleum makes it. I might also try some high heat header paint, which I know I have some of that on the shelf.

pfrederi

Eastwood sells some hi temp manifold paint. I used some high temp black paint for BBQs on an exhaust elbow on one of my Case farm tractors. It has held up fairly well but there are some spots of rust forming (after 4 years). She is kept inside and never gets wet. I had sand blasted the elbow first....

If you keep the thing inside and dry the muffler will last for years. the same muffler has been on my L107 for at least 25 years....No paint

d180man

Hi we have used hi temp manifold and engine paint ! i like to try Ceramic coating they say it works but dont know ! good luck ! :notworthy: :thumbs:

C.M.C-175

Whenever I paint something like that, I always use my small mapp gas torch to heat the part up first. You can actually watch the moisture being dried out of the metal. You don't need to get it real hot, just enought to dry it out. Also makes the paint dry very quickly and less chances of runs in the paint. Maybe it's all in my head, but my muffler has looked the same for over 2 years now.

rustnsuch

Rustoleum High Temp Grill & Stove paint, 1,000 deg.

I bought mine by the quart & sprayed it with my gun.

Make sure the metal is well cleaned including your fingerprints.

Wipe down with mineral spirits before you spray.

This worked real well for my homemade wood stove.

rocking 416

I know my opinons in the past have been worth the price you paid for them ( Nothing ) but when i worked at performance shop we would use heat gun or blow dryer heat the headers an use 1500 header paint and then wrap them to help reduce the heat. but alot of old timers ive worked with say heating the headers with heat gun before you paint them works. so that maybe a cheap fix. my C81 has left over header wrap on the muffler :notworthy:

WheelHorse_of_course

Some one (on Red Sq I think) told me a couple of times a years he sprays the muffler with WD-40.

I guess it makes a real stink when it burns off, but apparently it forms a nice non-rust patina after a few applications.

My Charger 12 has 3 year old genuine Kohler pepper pot (per original) and the aluminum is just getting to the point of rust. I plan on trying this easy method!

:notworthy: