HankB

Tecumseh carb questions

HankB

Well... In the continuing quest to get an A-80-E running, the next thing on my plate is the carb. This is a vertical shaft Tecumseh 8 hp engine.

I dissembled the carb (w/out popping the welch plug under the float bowl) and sprayed with carb cleaner and compressed air. And I have a couple of questions.

1. What's a good initial setting for the idle and main mixture screws? I've run both to 1 1/2 turns out. Some carbs do better with two. (I presume the needle valve coming up through the bowl is the main mixture screw.)

2. Should the idle mixture screw have an O-ring? It did not and I did not see a groove for one.

3. How much wear is allowed in the throttle butterfly shaft? It feels sloppy. I'm concerned that it could leak air and cause surging. I suppose the answer is to see how it works and decide for myself. I'm thinking about pulling the shaft out and drilling a hole to fit an O-ring in to reduce leaks.

Any other tips for someone wishing to get one of these working on the cheap? (The motor itself has a scored cylinder so I'm not particularly interested in putting money into the carb.)

thanks,

hank

HankB

I put the carb back on today and got her running. :notworthy: And that's almost the extent of the good news. Shortly after starting, the muffler came apart. And one of the points in front where the hood pivots came loose. And it seems like the solenoid was sticking. And the charging system is not charging. And the full load adjustment on the main jet (through the bottom of the float bowl) is fully closed, and that seems like it is still too rich.

But it did run well enough for a parade lap up and down the drive. :thumbs: That was good enough for me to evaluate the transaxle. That seems sound. It feels good going into all gears and did not pop out of any of them. It wasn't loaded heavily, but it also wasn't coasting. The only tire that holds air is the right rear and it can spin the left rear wheel in the tire if it meets resistance like a snow bank.

I'm on the cusp of deciding whether to continue or part it out. I'm not sure it's worth putting tires on it.

-hank

stevasaurus

Hey Hank...sounds like that carb is not set right yet. You are not far from me if you need a hand...I am by no means an expert, but I seem to get lucky on small engines. How about posting a few pictures of the tractor and a couple shots of that carb...showing the screw placements and linkage. What is the model # of the tecky? Try to help if I can. :notworthy:

should be VM80-150056 A or VM80-150057 A...there are also #'s on the carb...on the collar and on the barrel.

rickv1957

Is float OK and set at proper level,with main ajustment all the way closed means needle and seat are not 100%,working,Rick

Wheelie Horse Guy

Hello gang, first time posting on here. I recently picked up a C120 Auto and a A800 Ranger as a package deal from a local farmer. Both were complete mowers with decks....so I thought.  I got the C120 running and cutting and the parts are easy to find, but the A800 Ranger did not have a carb on it.  Can someone tell me the carb # for a A800 Ranger Tecumseh motor? I cannot find parts for this mower as easily.  Any advice would be appreciated!! 

20210411_152754.jpg

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Wheelie Horse Guy said:

Hello gang, first time posting on here. I recently picked up a C120 Auto and a A800 Ranger as a package deal from a local farmer. Both were complete mowers with decks....so I thought.  I got the C120 running and cutting and the parts are easy to find, but the A800 Ranger did not have a carb on it.  Can someone tell me the carb # for a A800 Ranger Tecumseh motor? I cannot find parts for this mower as easily.  Any advice would be appreciated!! 

20210411_152754.jpg

Congrats on you find and welcome to the forum.

I don't thing the Files section has manuals for the A800. What is the model and serial of the engine? Should be on the flywheel shroud. Aftermarket Tecumseh carbs are pretty readily available if you can narrow down the engine model and serial.

Wheelie Horse Guy
8 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Congrats on you find and welcome to the forum.

I don't thing the Files section has manuals for the A800. What is the model and serial of the engine? Should be on the flywheel shroud. Aftermarket Tecumseh carbs are pretty readily available if you can narrow down the engine model and serial.

Yes I did take a picture of said model and serial of the unit. 

I went to Isavetractors.com (where I made other purchases for the C120) but I couldn't find any parts for the vm80 150056A motor 

20211008_181744.jpg

Edited by Wheelie Horse Guy

Handy Don

Miss Goggles will help you with "Tecumseh vm80 carburetor" the 150056A will be important to filter out the many carbs.

Likely, though, that isn't the whole problem--you also need linkages that are likely not there.

So the alternate is to start with the A to Z tractors in our vendors page. Call, as the phone usually gets answered and emails can be slower!

Maybe someone on the Forum has the IPL for that unit and will chip in.

• Thanks 1