WH854

got This Snow Blower Today

Duff

Coming along well, Chas!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has to preheat my parts, run outside to paint 'em, then race back in to hang 'em up to dry!

Happy New Year!

Duff :thumbs:

possum pete

Will the model# you are refinishing fit a 520-H

WH854

I am sure it will fit on a 520-H check with some of the expert on your question

Chas.

WH854

Some Small parts came today!! I am getting them gathered up while the weather is bad pullys nut,bolts, spring, washers,spacers etc. A picture of them.

Jan0702.jpg

Chas. :thumbs:

WH854

I went to our local TSC Store today, I picked up a couple of machine screws for the shoot on the blower with lock nuts. I wandered around a little bit checking thing out I noticed they have a lot of roler chain different sizes in 10ft lengths,sprockets.bearing, I will get my new chain there when the time comes. Any body happen to know the right length of the chain before it has strecthed.

Chas.

WH854

Did some more small work, new pullys, new fittings put these back together.

Picture

PICT0002.jpg

Weather is supposed to warm up to 40 degrees tomorrow maybe I can work outside on the auger and wrapper they call it.

Chas :thumbs:

WH854

We had a nice day today 41 degrees, so iwent out to the shed and did a little work on the Blower. This next picture show the blade that rides on the ground looks like the PO run this thing down a pipeline, there is a half moon grove worn in the center,hope you can see it.

Picture

PICT0007-1.jpg

Here are some more I did a little sanding with an electric grinder with a sandind disk, really had the dust flying. Pounded out a bunch of dents.

The PO must have had a rocky driveway. a couple of the auger blades were bent. Got them straighten out. :thumbs:

PICT0002-1.jpg

PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

Chas. :banghead:

WH854

Took the snowblower shell to a fellow that rebuilds old truck and cars. I asked him if he could repair the holes in it and fix the blade part. He said thats a piece of cake. Here is where he started.

PICT0002-2.jpg

and so on down the line

PICT0008-1.jpg

Next one

PICT0009-1.jpg

Next one

PICT0010-1.jpg

Next one

PICT0015.jpg

Next one

PICT0021.jpg

Next one

PICT0022.jpg

This next one is the last one he applied a metal repair compound I think it's called Lab metal compound,any way he got it from Fastenal.He uses it to fill in small holes.

PICT0024.jpg

Chas :thumbs:

WH854

I picked the shell up today.He ground all the welds down smooth, smothed out then lab metal. Told me to buy POR15 and paint it.So I ordered A pint he said that was enough to paint it. Waiting on it to come :thumbs:

Chas :banghead:

scifi4all

Looks like its certainly coming along. Great Work! :thumbs:

I never thought about using POR-15 on a snowblower before. I think it would work the best on the auger, chute, and inside of the the blower around the auger. It is tough stuff. I used it on my mower deck rebuild. But just on the underside of the deck.

See here Deck Rebuild

Read and follow the instructions carefully, it dries like rock and is nice and slippery.

Good Luck! :banghead:

WH854

Got my POR 15 fhe other day! they sent me a catalog of all their products 55 pages worth also elaberate directions to. I will paint the blower when the weather warms up enough to paint outside. The recomend painting with a brush you can get a better layer down, they say it gets so hard you should put saran wrap on the lip of can, if you don't use it all or you won't be able to get the lid off again.Here is a Picture

POR15.jpg

Chas. :thumbs:

scifi4all

I think it also says somewhere that if you get a drop of your own sweat in the paint cup or can its ruined. Just use small amounts and it will do great. Good Luck!

WH854

I think it also says somewhere that if you get a drop of your own sweat in the paint cup or can its ruined. Just use small amounts and it will do great. Good Luck!

Yes it does!! This little pint can goes a long way. I have some more pictures after the por 15 paint job.

Feb0201.jpg

The next one I run a little test with IH RED To see if it would stick,That POR 15 is slick as glass.Picture!!!

Feb0208.jpg

The next ones are of the inside of the sheel.

Feb0202.jpg

Feb0205.jpg

I am pondering about covering the outside with POR 15. Any one Got any sugestions B)

Chas. :party:

CasualObserver

Nice job Chas. Personally I don't think I'd waste the POR-15 on the outside... the exterior of the thrower doesn't (or shouldn't B) ) get the abuse that the interior moving parts do.

WH854

I was just thinking out loud Jason. But I do have to use it up the shelf life is only about six months the directions say. I will have to do some of my little parts I have laying around B)

Chas

WH854

Painted The auger IH red turned out pretty good if I do say so myself B)

Feb0203.jpg

What do you think?????

Chas.

WH854

Got more painting done today.

Here are some pictures!!!

Feb0403.jpg

Feb0404.jpg

Feb0407-1.jpg

Feb0409.jpg

I will have to do some touching up later on after I get her back together B)

Chas :party:

Operator

So you used the POR as an undercoat? Then painted the red over it? Or does the POR come in red? One more here - where did you find this POR?

Randy

WH854

IT is POR15!!!!. I painted it on first then painted over it with red. Hereis where I got it.

http://www.por15.com/default.asp

One pint cost around $37.00 including shipping.

Chas

Operator

Thanks Chas! I book marked it. Interesting they even have floor covering for garages, wonder if it would hold up to welding and torch sparks? I'll have to check.

Randy

HorseFixer

I was just thinking out loud Jason. But I do have to use it up the shelf life is only about six months the directions say. I will have to do some of my little parts I have laying around B)

Chas

If ya open the can it spoils in just afew days! I like the savings of buying it in larger quantities but there is too much waste if ya dont use it all! :party:

rickv1957

Looking good,great work!! B) Rick

Operator

Duke seeing as you have used the stuff, how much would it take for three decks [underside] 60", 48" , 42"

Randy

HorseFixer

Duke seeing as you have used the stuff, how much would it take for three decks [underside] 60", 48" , 42"

Randy

Well As Far As The Paint Goes I Would Say About A Qt Maybe A Qt And A Pint. I Would use the hardnose version as it will take more abrasion for a deck. Make sure you use all their steps, marine clean, metal ready, This Frame was done with it back about 18 years ago this is when I had no gray hairs! B)

92320083027.jpg

Lane Ranger

I bought a quart can of POR15 for use on two 36 inch rear discharge mower decks for our B-80 tractors. I cleaned them real well with wire wheel brushes on a drill and used a strong power washing.

I put two coats of the clear POR15 and than did two coats of the hardened paint that POR15 sells. If I were doing it again (which I plan on doing on my 32 inch wheel horse Lawn Ranger mower decks) I would buy pint cans to do these jobs as the POR15 is difficult to presere even when you follow the sealing instructions.

This stuff looks and acts like porcelain!

Before shot:

3-2-09003.jpg

100_5408.jpg

102_6617.jpg

100_5406.jpg