Sign in to follow this  
Dale

which trans do you like best for plowing?

Dale

i bought the charger 12 he has a nother im going to buy. i have enought parts to covert it to an 8 speed so i will have both a hydro and a manual and a spare hydro trans. both chargers have a different coil with on points i never seen before

Cody

:notworthy: :thumbs:

pfrederi

i bought the charger 12 he has a nother im going to buy. i have enought parts to covert it to an 8 speed so i will have both a hydro and a manual and a spare hydro trans. both chargers have a different coil with on points i never seen before

Sounds like breakerless ignition system. Was on Some Chargers and Electro's. Check them out and make sure you have spark. New parts (if available) are astronomically priced and used ones aren't cheap and you do not know if they work. The differences are the stator, an ignition trigger (mounts on a special bearing end plate) and the coil which mounts on the blower housing.

Be absolutely sure you do not apply voltage to the wire running from the ignition switch to the coil...It will fry your trigger unit!!! It is a grounding wire to kill the motor not a power feed as found on most Kohlers

You can change the engine over to a battery ignition system fairly easily and inexpensively.

Rideawaysenior

Dale,

Easy answer to that. I used a 416-8 once and then a 312-H with the Eaton 11 hydro. Once I went to the hydro, I kept using it. I plowed about two acres with that machine and it didn't miss a beat. Weights and cleat tires or chains are a must. Oh, the field was 14year old sod and aside from rocky soil, thats about as hard as it can get.

The hydro was easy because I could increase my speed and slow down accordingly without breaking momentum.

bitten

When Im using my 3120-8 I like the 8 speed

And when Im using the D200 I like the hydro

rickv1957

To sum it up,I like both transmissions as long as Iam on a wheelhorse!!,Rick :notworthy:

Dale

runs like a clock, if it ever gives me trouble i will change it over i have buckets of parts

Dale

will post some pics tomorrow

bork

On the 3 speed is the low same as low on the 6 or 8 speeds? & the high same as high ? just with many more speeds in between?

TT

On the 3 speed is the low same as low on the 6 or 8 speeds? & the high same as high ? just with many more speeds in between?

Without researching it and posting a bunch of gear ratio numbers, high range in a 6 or 8 speed is basically the same as a 3 speed.

Low range is what adds the slower and/or "in between" speeds.

clintonnut

Hi,

I would think a hydro would be great for plowing powdery snow and snowblowing. Heavy wet snow I think would create a lot of strain on a hydro. Hydros have lots of slippage in the drive compared to a gear transmission just like a car. Gear transmissions don't have any slippage unless your belt is slipping. I have only used a gear transmission and don't have any problems. After years of driving gear horses you can learn to shift on the fly by feathering the pedal without grinding gears. Hydros do have some downfalls such as warm ups, constant maitenece (more than a gear tranny) and I think they are more prone to breakdowns than gear trannys. The shift linkage is a weak point with the shift plate. Just keep it well lubed with light gear oil and never force the lever if it is stuck. I wouldn't like to have a breakdown like this because you can't roll hydros unless the tow valve moves (unlikley) and then you have to push it back to the shed when it is 0 degrees. NOT FUN. If you want reliability use a gear tranny. If you have complety gone through your hydro for leaks and broken parts then the reliablity should be fine.

I would say if you have a hydro, fine, go ahead and use it. I would. But if you had a gear tractor then use that instead.

I would like to get a hydro tractor someday.

Charlie

Dale

i bought a c-81 8 speed from the same guy today. i like the charger 12 but a manual has more power and you don't need the rpm's up. now i need a round hood

WheelHorse_of_course

Hi,

I would think a hydro would be great for plowing powdery snow and snowblowing. Heavy wet snow I think would create a lot of strain on a hydro. Hydros have lots of slippage in the drive compared to a gear transmission just like a car. Gear transmissions don't have any slippage unless your belt is slipping. I have only used a gear transmission and don't have any problems. After years of driving gear horses you can learn to shift on the fly by feathering the pedal without grinding gears. Hydros do have some downfalls such as warm ups, constant maitenece (more than a gear tranny) and I think they are more prone to breakdowns than gear trannys. The shift linkage is a weak point with the shift plate. Just keep it well lubed with light gear oil and never force the lever if it is stuck. I wouldn't like to have a breakdown like this because you can't roll hydros unless the tow valve moves (unlikley) and then you have to push it back to the shed when it is 0 degrees. NOT FUN. If you want reliability use a gear tranny. If you have complety gone through your hydro for leaks and broken parts then the reliablity should be fine.

I would say if you have a hydro, fine, go ahead and use it. I would. But if you had a gear tractor then use that instead.

I would like to get a hydro tractor someday.

Charlie

I have pushed both my hydro and my gear tractor home more than I would like to admit!

I don't know what you are talking about in terms of "slippage".

My experience is with Sundstrands. At least on the one's I have used the tow valve is easy to change (I know that is not true on some horses). I will admit however to a panic once or twice when I forgot to turn the tow valve OFF!!

:thumbs: :notworthy:

Dale

heres the pics of the charger 12 it's a 1971

Attached Image

post-74-1260310435.jpg

Dale

more pics :notworthy:

Attached Image

post-74-1260310747.jpg

Rideawaysenior

Regarding slippage, there is none with a hydro. These transmissions do not use torque converters or valve bodies. It is a hydro pump to gear motor, or hydro pump to rotary piston motor. The only slippage I've experienced is when I lose traction.

d180man

Hi nice tractor! :notworthy: :thumbs:

dgoyette

When Im using my 3120-8 I like the 8 speed

And when Im using the D200 I like the hydro

Great response!