Sign in to follow this  
bitten

Kohler carb

bitten

I have a 1968 K321 on a 1969 GT14. Went to rebuild the carb and was told (by our local repair shop) that the throttle shaft is no longer available for it. I do believe that it is a Kohler carb but Im only going by pictures. There are two sets of numbers on it one is 36967 and the other one is C-275369. There are no other markings on it other then Made in the USA that I have found.

I have looked in the carb reference manual for Kohler carbs and that just confused me. None of the numbers match. Dont know if this carb is older then what the manual list or what.

Does anyone know what carb I have and if indeed the shaft is no longer available?

If I have to get a different carb which one should I be looking at?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

P.J.

VinsRJ

Question..... Is the reason for the throttle shaft replacement because its worn? Those motors had Carter N model carbs and typically the aluminum carb bodies are what wear not the steel shafts. Also acording to the Kohler K-Series manual the throttle and choke plates are not to be removed from the shafts, so if you did remove the plates make sure you reinstall them using "red" Loctite.

Check with OPEENGINES.com for the shafts, they may carry them, you will need the spec number off of the blower cover.

If the carb body is worn, not the shaft, I have seen the carb bodies reamed for a bronze bushing to true up the clearance fit.

If you want/need to replace the carb a good place to start is to look in the air box end of the carb. On the roof of the inlet throat will be a number casted into the body. It will be like 20, 22, 24..... that is the size of the carb, you will need to find that size carb. Ebay is the way to go for a used carb.

gregg.d250

I got a K321 off a GT-14 some time back and it had a Walbro on it. Instead of the main jet screw on the top of the carb, the screw was over the fuel bowl, on a 45 degree angle to the carb.

That should be a quick visual.

I've never heard of any K-Series (Carter) carb with NLA parts. I just bought a kit to re-bush and replace the shaft on a #30 (for 14/16 Hp K-Series) a few months ago. #26 (K241/301) are also quite common and every part should be available for it.

My guess is you're looking at a Walbro.

Other than the vertical screw for the main jet, look behind the choke plate. Many Carters were stamped with a 26 or 30 in them. The throttle plates, venturi and choke plate are different, but the carb bodies are the same externally on the Carters, for all intensive purposes.....

wallfish

Here's some good info from Brian Miller"s site

If you scroll down about 3/4 of the way it shows you how to bush the the throttle shaft. His whole site has a TON of good info. He also sells parts. I believe he knows more about Kohler engines than Kohler does.

rickv1957

I have rebushed a couple of carbs and works well,Rick

bitten

Thank you guys.

Vin..To be honest I'm not sure if it is the shaft or body. I haven't taken it apart that far to tell. I cleaned it and put it back on to use it. Now that I know to look inside the body for a number Ill take it back off and see.

Gregg.. The main jet adj. is on the top of the carb. That is what made me think that it is a Kohler carb. I dealt with the son-in-law at our local shop and I know he isnt quit up to par as the old man but I will still look for some rebuild parts someplace else. Always like to give the local guy the first shot.

wallfish...Very good info from that sit. Brian sure does seem like he knows what he is talking about. I will bookmark that sit for sure as I'm sure that it will be helpful down the road. Thanks for the lead.

Again guys thank you. I think I will be going in a better direction now.

P.J.

72morph

I went to the hobby shop and got some brass tubing for model airplanes, mike it out ,redrilled carb body to the standard size of the tubing ,works great.About 1 hr tedious work but $1.50 parts.

• Like 1

big mike

As surprising as it seems the shafts can and do wear.The shaft is removable but it isn't easy.The screws that hold the throttle plate on have to be filed smooth and VERY CAREFULLY removed.It has been posted on other GT sites about a Hillman bushing that fits into the recess in the carb body and fits snug around the shaft and thereby fixing the vacuum leak.I wish I could give you the Hillman number but I repair my carbs by making a new shaft and reaming the hole.Using thread locker on the throttle plate screws is needed to keep the screws in place.