Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

KT17 runs well but at 1/4 choke then cuts out

truckin88

Guys, picked this C-175 up from stevebo a few weeks back, it ran and started fine, until I ran her out of gas. I gave it all new fluids (10-30w for winter) and new spark plugs. Then I ran out of gas, she now has a full tank of 89 octane. It was running rough, then I hit the carb with carb cleaner, started her back up and after the white smoke disappeared, she ran real smooth. Now she still runs smooth and starts, but if she does not have at least 1/4-1/3 choke she will cut out, on full throttle. I will replace the fuel filter tonight, any other suggestions.

All I have done, is redo the light wiring and new lights, new AP26 plugs gapped to .025, all new fluids in hydro (and filter) and motor, new air filter and pre filter, grease and that is it. Pretty much a basic going through.

Just a side note when I filled it after running out of gas, she ran smooth, then she sat a day or two, then I started her up, then she was ruff until the carb cleaner, now the choke is needed, it all started after I ran out of gas.

Sparky

Must of sucked up some crap from the very bottom of the tank. Does it still have the filter screen in the botton of the tank at the shutoff? If so something got past it as its only a screen. I'm thinking that the carb will need to come off and get a good cleaning (not a rebuild).

Mike.......

truckin88

sparky, not sure if the screen is there, can I check it with the tank full??? Also the gas filter is a standard see through one, it is hardly filling with gas. and I can see it is dirty.

Cody

Iv had dirt block up before the filter and not allow gas to go threw the filter, try pulling the fuel filter off and see if that isn't the case. Good Luck

stevebo

Will,

Sounds to me like sparky hit it on the nose. I was told by the dealership that if the filter is full then that means it is dirty and if the gas goes right through then it is clean. I can tell you the filter has really no hours on it. Sounds to me like you are just not getting enough gas. Cody had a good idea to just bypass the filter and you can check to see if there is a screen in the tank by moving removing the cap and shining a light in.

If you let that machine sit for a long period of time the carb will need to be primed then it is fine from my time I had her. I am not sure but I believe I replaced all the fuel lines with I restored it. Let me know if I can help. Good luck-

rickv1957

Alittle carb cleaner in fuel tank and adjust main jet open a little might do wonders,Rick

Rollerman

Pull the fuel cap & with a light carefully look down in the tank & see if you can see the screen at the bottom of the tank.

These can get clogged up after time & keep a strong stream of fuel going to the engine.

If you have a shutoff valve at the back under the tank I'd remove the line back there & confirm you are getting a good flow of fuel.

mnWHfan

I had this same issue on my mothers C175. It turned out to be a couple of small pieces of grass that jammed into the power valve needle. I took off the carburator, disassembled it, sprayed the inside throughly with carb cleaner, reassembled, and then reinstalled and it ran great right away. Grass got in hers because the elbow fitting on the inlet to her carburator was loose.

whfan74

I had this problem once and it too was the screen that is attached to the shut off valve. My problem was that the cork at the bottom of the fuel cap started to fall apart and a couple of pieces ended up settling in the bottom of the tank. Cleared that out, reprimed it and away it went with no problems.

All good suggestions from everyone.......chances are it is in your tank/screen especially if all of the lines and inline filter have been changed.

Good luck! :notworthy:

C.M.C-175

I had a very similar thing happen on my motorcycle. You may want to take the carb off an check the main jet and the float. Make sure the float isn't sticking and also clean the jet. Mine got plugged up with some crystalized fuel. Cleaned it out and ran like a new machine. Just a thought, these are all good suggestions though.

truckin88

Update: new fuel filter, stp fuel treatment carb cleaner in the tank, The filter finally gets totally full, but the tractor shuts off now after 20 seconds no matter the choke. Help!!!

Stevebo got your msg will call you tomorrow...night with the wife tonight

truckin88

Ok so I am guessing if the filter filled it means the fuel pump is working and the tank screen should be ok....so my issue is the carb??? I used a universal clear style filter from lowes.

stevebo

Will,

Pull the carb and clean it and I am 99.9% sure that your problems will go away. Sounds like it is running until the gas in the bowl is used so you may have a problem with the float or it may be sticking.. Try tapping the side of the carb bowl lightly and that may be enough to free up the float which controls the fuel into the carb. If that works, I would still take it off and clean it.

linen beige

Are you absolutely positive it ran out of gas? Or was it close to empty when it sucked a chunk of dirt, or a piece of old fuel hose, into the fuel inlet and choked it out, making you think it had run out of gas?

I'm with the others. Clean the carb passages and see what that does for her.

truckin88

never pulled a carb, will I need any new gaskets when I put it back on?

It ran out of gas, it would not start at all, filled with gas, ran good, then after it sat, ran good with the choke 1/4 way up, but the fuiel filter was getting no gas, replaces the filter, it is now full of gas, but it will not run for more than 20 seconds.

Cody

I agree with stevebo, the needle in my 417-8 sticks every once in a while and i just give the carb a small tap and away it goes.

truckin88

tapped it and it did nothing, ordered the kit at napa today, also with the gasket for the manifold, apparently they no longer make the air cleaner housing gasket??? I will use hi temp rtv.....Where exactly is the fuel pump on these...want to make sure that is not shot....I don;t think it would be because of the filter filling

truckin88

Well we cranked and the fuel pump pumped right into a cup.

So the carb came off, was not much junk in the fuel bowl, soaked and cleaned it, then rebuilt it......all the junk was at the seat, when I unscrewed it, it was all junk and crystalized fuel, the pi hole was 90% clogged. So the carb is rebuilt, I will mount it today or tomorrow.

truckin88

guys thank you, finally back together, was a good learning experience and it only cost $10 in parts, seems to be running great now after the carb clean/rebuild. It only needed minimal adjustment. Thanks!!!! Now time for a plow on this bad boy!!!

Save Old Iron

Way to go Will.

gotta love it when someone does LOGICAL troubleshooting instead of just randomly throwing time and $$$ at a problem.

Once again. :notworthy::thumbs: from your neighbor to the north.

stevebo

Will,

You will be the first to plow with that beast after the restore. Take pictures !! She must have just a bit more power too !! :notworthy: