Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Frozen Tranny

Prater

I have the C series tranny on my engine stand. It was full of water since the PO took the dipstick out of the tube for some reason...It was locked up solid. I talked to Kelly and he recomended filling it up with tranny fluid, then oil, then lube if it unlocked. I have it full of cheap fluid right now and was able to get the axles moving and the drive shaft and brake shaft free. The axles move oposite each other(one clockwise, the other counter clock wise) the other shafts are free spinning. i now have the high low selecter free but can only move the shifter in neutral. I will keep working it a few days but just looking for suggestions that worked for you without pulling the tranny apart.

Thanks

transmission.jpg

sorekiwi

I'd just keep doing what you are doing...

I had one that was completely froze up once. I left the tractor in the bed of my truck (in gear, and full of ATF) and drove around for about a week. That rocking backward and forward freed up the box. When I pulled that one apart it was very useable, I didnt even put bearings in that one.

rickv1957

Sreve,Dont know how full you have tranny but shifter is easy to remove so you can spray shift forks with wd40,Rick

Prater

Rick, I pulled the shifter and filled it up. One thing I forgot was to put a bolt in the transmission mount, I had a nice puddle of fluid on the floor before I realized it...

Duff

Rick, I pulled the shifter and filled it up. One thing I forgot was to put a bolt in the transmission mount, I had a nice puddle of fluid on the floor before I realized it...

Oh yeah, been there and done that! :WRS:

Not for nuthin' as the saying goes, but it really isn't that big a chore to open up the tranny and check everything first-hand. Then you'll have the peace of mind of no surprises down the road. JMHO.....:thumbs:

Duff :notworthy:

clintonnut

Hi,

To be honest it would be better to just take one half of the case off to make sure there aren't major problems.

Think about it.. Spend $80 on bearings or spend $250 on gears from toro.

Just my .02 cents. And if it looks OK, just put a little RTV on one half and slap it back together. Take the left half off not the right half.

Charlie

can whlvr

i would tend to agree with charlie the bearings are probally rusty,worth a look.

rickv1957

I may have the bearings and seals if you go that route,Rick