Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

Can I Get A Show Of Hands????

chesbaycruiser

OK, so I realize there has been a LOT of discussion (much of it repetitive) about proper paint color, so I'll try to keep this simple.

I've scoured pages & pages of posts about color choice, and have come up with a list of the most frequently mentioned colors. I've read enough to know that there is no "correct" Wheel Horse Red, and that the factory changed colors over time. I also realize this decision is as much about personal preference and/or "artistic eye" as anything else.

So what I'm asking here is for a quick vote, based on your opinion, what is the best color (rattle-can) for a 1988 312-8? Additional comments are welcome, but not necessary. Feel free to vote for one, or "top three", or whatever suits you. The more voters, the better!!!

1. Valspar IH Red (Restoration series)

2. Rustoleum Regal Red

3. Krylon Cherry Red

4. Valspar Berry Red

5. Rustoleum "Sunrise Red"

6. Farm&Fleet Harvest King IH (Conflicting stories regarding availability)

As always, thanks for sharing your experience with us restorationally-challenged.

Chris

Sparky

I set you up with a poll that will keep track of the results.

Enjoy!

Mike.........

Rollerman

I'll vote Krylon Cherry Red.

Been useing on most of my repaints....I supose we all see the colors a little differant though.

One of these days I'll get an HVLP gun & try IH or Farmall red paints.

chesbaycruiser

I set you up with a poll that will keep track of the results.

Enjoy!

Mike.........

Thanks Mike!!!

WHC-125

I voted Sunrise red just because I used it on a few tractors I have done and it comes out very good especially for the price! I have also used Krylon Cherry Red as well on a few tractors but it is sometimes hard to get ahold of. But for the next tractor I restore I am going to try out Valspar IH restoration series.

linen beige

there is no "correct" Wheel Horse Red, and that the factory changed colors over time.

what is the best color (rattle-can) for a 1988 312-8?

Not to throw a wrench in things, just some food for thought.

You are indeed correct that the color changed over time, but about '86 Toro adopted "New Toro red" (the closest approximation possible to Wheel Horse red) for their line, including Wheel Horse. That IS the "correct" color for a 1988 model. Part number 8-0311, superceeded to part number 361-10 for a case of six rattle cans. It is listed on Toro's site as an accessory to your tractor. Although it is not available for online sale, there is plenty of it still out there on dealer shelves.

As for the poll I voted Valspar restoration IH red because it seems to be the most commonly used. For my own machines I prefer to have paint mixed to match the year I'm working on.

Bottom line... use what you think looks best to you on YOUR tractor.

Doubletrouble

I voted the restoration series. I used it on my '71 and I like the way it came out with very little effort after spraying it. It isn't real expensive and easily available at your local TSC store. It's got my vote!

rickv1957

I have not restored a tractor lately but Iam going to try the restoration series on my 702,Rick

jusjeepn

I have used the Valspar IH red and really like the results. It's a very good quality paint as far as tractor paint goes. It lays down real nice and I still use "Ol Trusty" to lay it on with (Devilbiss JLG siphon feed ). Most recently I have used a rattle can paint from TSC called Plasticoat. It's a pretty good match to the IH red and seems to be durable. So far I have done 1 tractor, a set of cultivators and a dump cart with it. I probably won't use it anymore because even at $3.79 a can, it's just not cost effective to keep using it.

tgranthamfd

Just a little note. I, recently, purchased a rear blade bracket to put on my 2005 Classic GT. I cleaned it up some, spayed some rust reverter on it, and sprayed the Valspar IH red Restoration series on it and it is a perfect match. My 05 has been washed after every use and kept in the shed its entire life, it never spent one night outside. I don,t know how good of a match it would be for the older horses but I really like this paint. JMHO. Thanks

chesbaycruiser

....about '86 Toro adopted "New Toro red" (the closest approximation possible to Wheel Horse red) for their line, including Wheel Horse. That IS the "correct" color for a 1988 model. Part number 8-0311, superceeded to part number 361-10 for a case of six rattle cans...

Very good info LB....Thanks!

Chris

Save Old Iron

Bottom line... use what you think looks best to you on YOUR tractor.

Amen brother - the best advise yet,

Up front I have to say I do not place a high priority on exact color match because quite honestly, raising a family with 3 daughters, I have more important things to worry about. No barn queen tractors around here - every tractor is a worker and durability is the name of the game for me.

I use IH Red restoration series because it appears to be a durable, easy to use "system" - primer, top coat and hardener all from the same manufacturer and compatability of all the components is built in.

I guarantee you too will soon feel the "exact match" need fade away as you start to use the tractor to help with the weekly chores. After a few months exposure the weather, the color will fade slightly, throwing off the exact match you have hoped for. The year after that, when you have to invest in replacement blades, a spindle locks up or your transmission won't go into low gear, you will forget all about the color of the tractor.

Go with your own personal preference and keep the "system" concept in mind if you venture away from the rattle can arena into the use of a spray gun.

Oh... and by the way... are you going to use the color which receives the most votes ??

:notworthy:

MikesRJ

:notworthy:

chesbaycruiser

Oh... and by the way... are you going to use the color which receives the most votes ??

An excellent question Iron....I really just wanted to see if there was one or two that were clearly preferred for this year range, thus possibly avoiding the need to by 4 or 5 or 6 colors just to to test.

It seems pretty clear that the Valspar IH is the #1 choice, followed by Rustoleum Regal & Krylon Cherry. I'll probably test the top two and go with whichever one I like the best. If my "artistic eye" doesn't like the results of either of those, I'll just keep going down the list 'til I find one I like.

Does this make me smart, or cheap? :notworthy: (The latter, I think!!!)

Thanks again to all for their votes and comments....

Chris

Save Old Iron
Does this make me smart, or cheap?

daemon2525

I guess that you all know that Rustoleum and Krylon both make IH red?

The Rustoleum is in their TRACTOR paint series, and is just a VERY little darker

than the Valspar. I like it for some things because it goes on thicker and you can just about paint one coat and be done. with no runs. I use it for implements and things that I don't care about getting an automotive shine on.

The Krylon IH red is quite a lot darker than either of them and has a very slight purple tint to it. However to be honest, it looks a lot like what I remember our old Farmall H looking like growing up on the farm.

I dont' think is is as good of a match for WH, but of course it was meant to match Farmall, not WH.

chesbaycruiser

....Start a poll about what color black to use and what color silver to paint the rims. That would really throw a fox into the hen house !! :notworthy:

LOL....my friend, I'll leave that up to you! I'm already walking a pretty fine line between valid info and redundancy!!!

:thumbs:

Save Old Iron

That's why they invented the :thumbs: icon. The day we can't have a little fun here is the day I'm outta here .....

and so we can also get our icon quota in for today ..... :notworthy:

here is a Valspar Berry red / IH Red Restoration Series visual comparison.

Berry Red on the hubs

IH Red on the hitch

colorcompare.jpg

Don1977

I have both Rustoleum Sunrise Red that is a closer match to my C-120 and Regel Red that I used. I just like the darker color of red, I think it looks better and my tractor will never be stock anyway.

wheelhorse551

I was going to paint my suburban 551 IH red valspar myself :omg:

MikesRJ

SOI, not a whole heck of a lot of difference between the two Valspar's is there?

Save Old Iron

SOI, not a whole heck of a lot of difference between the two Valspar's is there?

Not really Mike

except for the $3 a can price difference and the popularity in the voting poll.

Me being a numbers guy - same color - but voting shows the highest and nearly the lowest votes ... very interesting

MikesRJ

Any apparent difference in hardness between the two? Have you done a scratch test?

markslawnmowerworld

I voted for IH #1

because i think in time when all of us older guys are no longer around, but the red iron so to speak is, People will think and wonder how these machines made it through time looking so good.....I guess i just like to go all original when i can.... :omg:

Ken B

I voted for IH #1

because i think in time when all of us older guys are no longer around, but the red iron so to speak is, People will think and wonder how these machines made it through time looking so good.....I guess i just like to go all original when i can.... :D

I voted IH Resto series. I think in a life after people kinda way it will last the longest as well! :omg: