Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

Picture of Brinly Plow at work?

illinilefttackle

Ok guys-You will probably be getting more rookie questions about this Brinly Plow and how to use it before I'm done. Anyone got a picture -or- even better-a video- of a dirt plow being used? I read the instruction manual-but you know, not being a farm guy-I'm not sure what I read. Maybe if I see one in action I can understand it better! If I get it correctly, the coulter cuts the sod so the plow can turn the dirt over cleanly. How far should it be from the tip of the plow blade,etc. :thumbs:

Thanks-AL

T-Mo

How's this link: wfm plow day events

There might be some videos in there also, but there sure are a lot of photos. :thumbs:

combatmp29r

I've seen those over on WFM terry. It looks like a fun time. You ever been to one?

T-Mo

Joel,

I haven't been to one yet. Most of them are in Iowa, but the fall one in central Illinois isn't too far away from me. They also have videos that you can purchase of these events. I've seen excerpts from a couple of these videos, I'm not sure I would want to buy one, but they're pretty reasonable priced.

Nick

Al,

I found a link that shows about the same thing my brothers had me do to set one up. Plow setup Like you I never used a plow and my brothers helped on a farm so when I did get into a garden they basicaly stood around making fun of my ability. :thumbs:

This JD 318 2 bottom plow video isnt much help but interesting.

Nick in Ohio

illinilefttackle

Thanks Guys!-The pics and videos helped a lot-also instructions-I guess the thing for me to do now is fix the plow up and wait til time to plow-to see if I can set it right-I guess It could be tough-because I'll be plowing where there is sod. I guess I'll see if the "Ole Girl" has as much power as I think she does. Thanks-AL

kpinnc

I guess I'll see if the "Ole Girl" has as much power as I think she does.

Oh, she's got it Al. The hard part is getting all the power to the ground! :thumbs:

We have red clay concrete for soil here, and I've dug holes spinning with dually ag cleats before! It feels like plowing a paved driveway...

Kevin

MaineDad

Al,

Is the ground you are planning to plow ever been turned over before? Is there a lot of trees and roots around? Land that has never been plowed can be hard at first but with some patience and root removal you will succeed.

When I plow new land, I make sure that the plow is not digging too deep the first time over. Usually I will make three trips over that land each time turning the lever clockwise a little more to go deeper. Don't expect to see the earth turning over perfectly the first time through.

With some practice you'll start to make sense of it all. There's nothing like a freshly turned garden that makes you appreciate your Wheel Horse. Just don't expect too much your first time plowing.

WheelHorse_of_course

Strictly speaking the coulter is not needed. Lift it high and adjust the plow so that it works well. Then lower the coulter so it cuits about 1 inch into the sod. It is there to help the sod break and lay flat.

The trick is getting the speed right for the depth.

It will just take some time to get it right.

illinilefttackle

Thanks Guys!- This will be a new adventure for me. The ground I have picked out has not been tilled for 50 years. There are a few scrub trees around the edges- I hope the roots will not be to large. I'm going top take it easy, a little depth at a time. That brings me to a question- Obviously when you are plowing just a little depth you hold the plow up-but when you are doing the final pass do you fully release it downward? Will it find its own final depth once you adjust it correctly?

I thinking about using a small electric winch and a custom mount to pick it up and down, rather than trying to hook up the under-seat tubes and cables-which I don't have anyway. Anybody ever do it this way? Thanks again-AL :thumbs:

MaineDad

Al,

You can adjust the depth by turning the crank - deeper clockwise and vice versa. You may have to do some holding of the lift lever if you get hung up on a root. The big thing to remember is that you don't have to go too fast your first time over. I'd have a buddy around too that can pull the roots and rocks as you go so you don't have to keep getting off and on the tractor.

I have never done the actuator thing off the back but am interested if you come up with a solution. Good luck...