Sign in to follow this  
bork

1057 transaxle fill

bork

(3 foward gears & reverse, 4 speed?)1967 ) I see a plug in rear of unit that is kinda low & a small plug in bottom, underneath. Is there a place to check level? Or how to replace fluid completely & correctly. Not sure how much was loss over time with leaky seal. Looking at parts break down, I dont see anything labeled as such.

qd-16

The plug on the side is to check the level or top off. The allen head on the bottom is to drain.

I think the capacity on these is 1.5 Qts. and I think they call for 85w140 gear oil.

I have found the easiest way to fill an empty trans. is to take out the gear shift handle and use a long funnel. There is an allen head screw in front of where the shifter goes into the trans. Back this out and the shifter will pull out (make sure in neutral) giving a straight shot into the trans.

When you are done, put the shift handle back in, tighten the set screw, put the shift boot cover back on and go wheel horsin'!

Also, make sure your shift boot cover is in good shape and not torn or rotted away, they are about $5 from your wheel horse dealer. :notworthy:

bork

Whats wrong with using the plug on rear/side for filling?

linen beige

Whats wrong with using the plug on rear/side for filling?

Nothing really. But the opening is a rather small diameter compared to the one for the shifter. The larger opening up top makes for much faster filling.

bork

Thanks jim, but what I dont understand , the fill plug is so close to bottom, looks like the fluid level is lower than the shafts? Like an inch deep?

Indy w h

Bork

the gears grab the oil and move it all over in the tranny.

It's like it takes an oil bath once you put it in gear. You

want the gear oil to be in the threads when you remove

the plug on the back left hand side of tranny. If you can't

see any oil then add until you can see oil.

Indy

:notworthy:

bork

Thanks! :notworthy:

jla1257

I just consulted my owners manual for a 1057/1257 and the 5058 unidrive service manual, they stated that the small plug on the under side of the transmission is the drain and the larger plug near the brake is the fill. Only fill with fluid until it reaches the threads. The Toro 1956-1999 Lubrication Recommendations Drive Belt & Mower Blade Usage Charts indicates that the transmission takes 1.5qts of SAE 90-140 A.P.I. Service GL-5 gear lubricant.

tgranthamfd

More than likley, you will only be able to get about a quart in through the fill hole, at least that's how it went on my 8 speed, had to put the rest in through my dip stick hole, which was very tiny. The shifter hole would be a good choice for the remainder of oil if needed.