Sign in to follow this  
plowmaster

sms-425

plowmaster

just bought a sickle mower and i think im missing some peices. does anyone have a pic of a complete one unattached? i think this attachment is going on the bench and getting a restoration. the wobble box is nice and tight and has a real straight cutterbar, but looking at the front of it under the belly, the attachment just has a solid round stock, going back to the fork that hooks to the back. ill be out to get some pics here after din-din.

thanks for the help, hope everyone has their winter projects lined up ready to start.

plowmaster

shows my smarts, guess i should have looked thru the picture gallery first, i just didnt think there would be pics as i dont see sicklebars discussed much....anyway, looks like i need the intire front box to hold it up to the tractor, man, a bad day gets worse.

can i build one? might be begging for help with pics and measurements as i really want to get this little weed whacker goin.

plowmaster

thanks for the link, i registerd.

sorekiwi

I have one, and the "mule drive" for it is in pieces right now (I needed to replace the bearings).

Guess you want pictures??

plowmaster

sure! THANKS!

im hoping i can fab the front up myself, if someone dosent have an extra one.

im guessing it was attached to the tractor when it got stolen, one of the reasons i didnt mind giving the poor old man 75 bucks for it. i hate theives...

sorekiwi

im guessing it was attached to the tractor when it got stolen, one of the reasons i didnt mind giving the poor old man 75 bucks for it. i hate theives...

I hate thieves too, but I must say that for $75 you came close to stealing the rest of it!

It wouldnt be hard to make one, its all pretty basic. The shaft that goes through the bearings does have a couple of keyways though, so you'd need access to a mill (or a machineshop!!) for that - or possibly see if that bits available from Toro.

I'll try to get some pictures tonite or tomorrow. I'll get some dimensions too.

Mike

plowmaster

thanks again. after i see some pics ill be able to descern if im able to build on or go on the hunt.

i cant wait to tear into this thing

buckrancher

I have one if you would like to come and measure it up to fab one

I live between Ithaca and watkins Glen

sorekiwi

OK, here's some pictures. I took some measurements, but it may take me a while to work out the easiest way to show them... Maybe we should wait and see if you decide to build one before I spend the time drawing it?

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

I wa wrong about the shaft, it had only one keyway, for the driven pulley in the middle, the driving pulley on the outside is just secured by a setscrew.

The pulley sizes are 5" to drive it, 2 1/2" driven. The tensioner pulley is 3" (I think this is just a standard 60's model drivebelt tensioner).

The bearings are standard ag bearings that mount via the 1 1/2" PCD 3 hole flanges. Bearing size is 52mm OD, 19mm id, 28mm wide.

I think most of the tensioner linkage is the same as the roundhood mower deck tensioner pieces. I have dimensions if you need them. In fact I may have some of these pieces in my boxes of deck pieces...

The side plates of the mule drive itself are 1/4" plate, the "crossbrace" is 3/8 thick with a plain 3/4" hole to take the front of the rod that comes forward from the mower gearbox. The shaft for the pulleys is 3/4" mild steel round bar.

Let me know if you need the dimensions...

plowmaster

well now im not sure what route i want to take at this point. something tells me i may be wasting my time trying to find one as it is useless without one. ill first start by going to the wanted section.

let me see if i cant come up with one, and in the meantime i can get collecting the parts i need to build one, if i dont locate an original wh part i may need to get some measurments. when do you plan on re-assembly? i guess that will give me the deadline, eh?

i take it that it BOLTS onto the frame, so i can assume that that crosspeice is the exact width of the tractor frame?

thank you mike for your pictures and your time

sorekiwi

when do you plan on re-assembly? i guess that will give me the deadline, eh?

i take it that it BOLTS onto the frame, so i can assume that that crosspeice is the exact width of the tractor frame?

Reassembly of this one isnt high on my priority list, I wont be wanting to use the mower till spring. I had to replace the bearings, but ended up buying ones with a 7/8 bore, so I'm gonna have to make a new shaft for mine, or more likely some bushings to go inside the bearing yo step them down to 3/4.

The mount bolts to the front of the tractor, its 6 3/4" between the plates.

I can dig through my bits and pieces and see if I have any of the tensioner stuff. My linkages are kinda worn, with the holes flogged out, so I was going to make some new bits. Maybe I can make you some bits at the same time.

If you are near Brian (Buckrancher) it may be worth going to see his assembled unit. And he has access to a machineshop.... :notworthy:

What tractor are you going to put it on?

plowmaster

trumansburg is about 4 hrs away, and i was just down at cornell last weekend...sheesh.

tractor...depends on what i end up building this winter, proly a cross between the charger 12, bronco 14 and 416h

buckrancher

I think most of the tensioner linkage is the same as the roundhood mower deck tensioner pieces. I have dimensions if you need them. In fact I may have some of these pieces in my boxes of deck pieces...

There is a differance between the round hood type pto and whats on the 416

(for sickle bar pto drive)

the belt tensioner pulley is fixed on the 416 pto type I don't know what style

pto is on your other two WH's if it's like the older round hood you'll have to

pick which tractor you are going to use and build for that pto style.

:notworthy:

plowmaster

sorekiwi

Plowmaster,

Just sent you a message...

plowmaster

bumpd the thread. im still looking for this part, especially now that i lost a bid on a complete one. thanks