Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

Simple add-on power lift idea

WheelHorse_of_course

Hey folks

I had a bit of an inspiration this weekend and I'd like some feedback.

It occurred to me that a linear actuator connected from the mid hitch to the existing manual pivot assembly would make a rather easy modification.

Obviously, this would not work with mid-mount implements. I believe the same kit of parts would work with both short and long frame tractors. It would also be easy (with proper connectors) to remove when using mid mount equipment and the manual lift would be left completely instact.

To be determined are: :thumbs:

-How it would this work with snow-blower style attachments in terms of clearances. I expect that with proper design this could work as well.

-If typical satellite actuators would work. These are much more available and much cheaper (due to supply and demand) than industrial actuators. They are typical 30 volts though. This might work, DC motors can operate at lower than optimal Voltage, though obviously with less force.

I imagine that linear actuators have been discussed elsewhere on MTF and/or yahoo, but not as far as I can tell here.

My requests from Red Square members:

1) Any factual experiences with using linear actuators?

2) Thoughts on the utility of a lift that works only for front and rear hitches and occupies the mid hitch when installed.

3) If I were to include a complete set up parts and clear installation instructions and sell this for <$180 would this be of interest to you?

Let me put this as nicely as I can, what I don't need are lots of opinions :thumbs: . I will form my own opinions when I prototype this, assuming I do. And if I cannot make it lift my 36" blower I will not offer this solution to others in any form.

Note: If I do get past the prototype stage, I will put up a series of polls here on Red Square to get further input on certain details that could make it more or less "nice". At that time I'll also see about getting a handful of beta testers who would get units and install them according to the instructions and give me feedback.

I have 90% decided to go ahead and get the parts for the prototype, but will wait for feedback from my esteemed co-members first.

Cheers

Rolf :D

TT

Not sure where you've been Rolf, but WH offered an electric lift kit for garden tractors FOR YEARS. (using a 12V "linear actuator" hooked from a bracket on the rear axle to a special lift lever shaft arm) :thumbs::thumbs::D

It works with all conventional attachments too. (front, middle and rear hook-up.)

(WH P/N 84222 or 84223 at the MPV)

WheelHorse_of_course

Hi Terry,

Yes, I am aware of those kits, but they are expensive (are they still available?). And to replicate you need a short actuator which rules out the idea of getting the lower prices by taking advantage of the satellite business volume.

My inspiration was that these satellite units are relatively long, hence using the mid hitch.

If all this comes together, I might be able to sell them for considerably less than $175, which seems like it would be a pretty cool thing for tose like me who are cheap :thumbs: !

Cheers

TT

connected from the mid hitch to the existing manual pivot assembly

Explain to me where you intend to put it. :thumbs::thumbs::D

Under the tractor ?

WheelHorse_of_course

Yup. I'd fabricate hardware to allow it to connected to the mid mount centered under the tractor (e.g more or less a pin that goes across under the frame between the two sides of the mid hitch). The motor end would mount there since that end is clear of obstructions and does not move. The screw would point backwards and connect to the tang normally used for the snow plow (e.g. the one that points downward).

When the actuator retracts, this would be equivalent to pull back on the arm (e.g. UP).

Likewise, if the equipment to be used is not designed to float, the actuator could provide down pressure by pushing.

I think the biggest issue is how much push/pull I can get with only 12 volts, plus durability of the actuator in real use (which would be thoroughly tested by myself and beta testers).

It was sort of an epiphany when I thought of it. These satellite actuators come in 18 throw models which looks like it would be just about right (with most of the screw enclosed) and since it has lots of throw range it should fit both short and long frames.

The mounts and electrical wiring are pretty straight forward, so I will likely prototype it soon, unless someone here can tell me of failed experiments in this direction.

cheers

Rolf :thumbs:

TT

:thumbs: Good luck, I guess. :thumbs:

Stigian

I think i get where your coming from on this Rolf, it also sounds like a good and interesting project :thumbs:

I was chatting with a friend the other day who works with very disabled people, he mentioned that the wheelchair lifts that are fitted to the back of the works vans use

actuators (two i think) which have no problem lifting a 16 stone person.

I guess from that they must be quite strong and have plenty of power :thumbs:

refracman

Rolf, I think your idea is rather good. :thumbs: This setup could be used for rototillers and like were the standard lift handle has something left to be desired. And if the money is right it should go over well.

Kelly

I'm not sure, but I think you are going to run into a angle problem. The rock shaft arm you will be hooking it to points to the mid mount, I don't see how pulling from the mid mount will lift very far :thumbs: . Maybe if you built a bracket to attach to the arm going straight down or back a little :thumbs::D Draw up you design and post it.

Sorry I know you didn't want comments, But I couldn't help myself.

WheelHorse_of_course

Kelly,

this is the further rear tang on the rocker arm. It is the one meant for the snow blower and generator.

So there is one that points down! (at least on the older horses, I assume the classics have it too) :thumbs:

Everyone,

thanks for the interest and feedback. I shall buy and actuator shortly and start to play.