Sign in to follow this  
Nitetimes

Picked up my new toy today

Nitetimes

I brought home a '73 16 Automatic yesterday. Picked it up for $60 bucks. Supposed to run good but it must need a battery and terminals cleaned because the charger wouldn't crank it so it's still on the trailer.

73wh01.jpg

73wh02.jpg

73wh03.jpg

Sheet metal wise it's in better shape than the '79 that I mow with (only because the '79 is pretty much devoid of paint on the hood and fenders) but it looks like some things are missing and the hyd lever is froze as is the release valve (another reason it's still on the trailer. I need to find the manual for this one....really not even sure what controls motion.

Now I have to decide whether to do this one or the '79 this winter. The plan was to drop the mower on the '79 and put it in the garage to be rebuilt this winter but this one is looking good for that position. At least if I do this one I'll still be able to cut the weeds down in the spring!

73wh04.jpg

73wh05.jpg

It really isn't bad for 60 bucks but I will need a clutch and the controls if I put a deck under it. It almost looks like it had an electric clutch...no lever, a 2 pole plug at the clutch but no switch. There are no markings where the engagement lever would have been, it was painted once so maybe it was remove before painting...just not sure.

KB9LOR

Nice tractor and nice find, I would have bought it also, I just love getting Wheelhorses back up and running!

sorekiwi

Looks pretty good for $60 to me!

I have a '73 14 Auto with the electric clutch. I assume it is the same as yours. The clutch unit plugs into the plug above the crank. Its operated by a toggle switch on the dash, and wont operate unless the ignition switch is in the "ACC" position.

If you cant find an electric unit, you could probably fit a mechanical PTO fairly easily.

Nitetimes

I have always liked the Wheel Horses. My MIL bought the '79 in '93, traded a '75 for it. I acquired it in '97, it's cut a couple of acres a week ever since she bought it. The thing starts every time and runs fine, since she bought it it's had a fuel pump, head gasket and a tire put on it. Pretty good return on investment in my book!

Me, I'll buy pretty much anything if the price is right!! LOL So says my wife anyway.

I have yet to see what all the '73 is going to involve, legs wouldn't allow me to do much today so I didn't get to play with it except to put a battery charger on it.

HorseFixer

Lokks like a well spent $60.00 Buckaroos to me! :notworthy: Nice find!

Nitetimes

Looks pretty good for $60 to me!

I have a '73 14 Auto with the electric clutch. I assume it is the same as yours. The clutch unit plugs into the plug above the crank. Its operated by a toggle switch on the dash, and wont operate unless the ignition switch is in the "ACC" position.

If you cant find an electric unit, you could probably fit a mechanical PTO fairly easily.

OK, now I gotta go see if I missed something. I really had no idea they had electric clutches, that was just a shot in the dark. BRB

HorseFixer

By The Way :notworthy: :thumbs:

Nitetimes

OK, so electric clutch it is....The paint was gone off the letters, when I hit the dash with a flashlight it showed up. The hole is right under it but it apparently didn't register earlier.

Never seen one tho, any idea where I could find a picture/diagram of one?

Nitetimes

By The Way :thumbs::WRS:

Thanks...looks like a fairly active board. :notworthy:

chazm

:WRS: :):banghead:

Good deal on your find :notworthy:

Thanks...looks like a fairly active board.

Any thing ya need to know about Wheel Horses, some body here can help.

Chaz :thumbs:

sorekiwi

Never seen one tho, any idea where I could find a picture/diagram of one?

IMG_2543.jpg

Nitetimes

IMG_2543.jpg

Thanks!! The bracket sticking out and the plug are all that's there. Not sure I'll bother with the E clutch, I'm guessing that's not a real common or cheap item to pick up.

I'm really not sure what I'm gonna do with this one, only bought it because the price was right and to have a spare motor and transaxle. But after seeing some of the ones on here that have been redone I started thinking..........and we all know how bad an idea that can be!!

BTW - I think I'd turn that sickle bar around!!! :notworthy:

sorekiwi

BTW - I think I'd turn that sickle bar around!!! :notworthy:

I wondered why it didnt cut that good!

sorekiwi

So where's the pics of this "custom 49" mower deck"?

Nitetimes

So where's the pics of this "custom 49" mower deck"?

Have to get the '79 out of the shed......might have to do that tomorrow and mow some leaves anyway!

I was a welder/fabricator for a lot of years so when the deck died I bent one up after work one night, it's worked good for over 12 years and not likely to rust out any time soon.

Save Old Iron

:notworthy:

Suburban 550

:thumbs: Rich. Nice find and money well spent. :notworthy:

Coadster32

:thumbs: Killer deal you got! Looks like a winner to me. Nice and clean. I agree, this is a very active board. You came to the right place. :notworthy:

whfan74

That is one nice tractor and even a better price. Congrats on your new acquisition! :notworthy:

KeithB

nice buy :notworthy:

Duff

Good find, and :thumbs: !

Duff :notworthy:

stevasaurus

hey Rich... :WRS:

Let's see...fix the horse...don't fix the horse? Don't you just love an

easy question once in a while? :notworthy: I know how the members would vote. :thumbs:

bitten

Hello and :notworthy:

Very sweet deal. Wish I had that kind of luck.