Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Got the kids another toy

nylyon

Today I found (in Connecticut of course) a go-kart with 5HP Briggs engine on it for free. Couldn't pass that up so I picked it up. The woman who gave it to me told me that id doesn't run and her son tried and tried but couldn't get it going... It was missing the chain and a rod to connect the gas peddle to the throttle cable.

Got it home, turned it over checking for spark and there wasn't any, but has great compression. I pulled the fly wheel off and the points were opening and closing just fine, but still no spark. Went to Advanced Auto Parts and they had the points / condenser and plug so I bought it. Put it all in, gapped it up really good and vroom fired right up (still have a lot of carb work to do).

Next on to the chain. Looks the same as the one I bought for the snow blower, and sure enough it is. Cut the chain to length and put it on.

Just have to bolt the motor down, fix the throttle and zoom away.... Aways wanted a go-kart..... I mean always wanted to get the kid a go-kart.... :D

Sparky

Let'em tear around the yard for a few weeks and you'll never have to mow again :D . As soon as my son got the hang of his motorcycle I got him in the woods with it and got my lawn back.

Mike......

Sparky

Ahem...let me quote my good friend Karl, "We needs lots of pics"... :D

Mike.....

nylyon

Ahem...let me quote my good friend Karl, "We needs lots of pics"... :D

Mike.....

Man, I should have seen that one coming :P Too dark now, get em in the morning.

nylyon

Well, given a taste of my own medicine, here are the pictures of the go-kart. I still haven't taken care of the governor yet, going to need some springs, but I got it running pretty good, although it is a little lean at higher speeds. Need to clean it out really good I suppose. Anyway, so far I have spent $8 on this, not too bad.

go1.JPG

go2.JPG

go3.JPG

And I'm not knocking them, but in the second picture you can see my neighbor's broken down Cub. It usually breaks once or twice a week.....

Sparky

So...tell us the truth Karl. Do you fit in this thing and are you sharing with the kids :D ? That thing looks like a blast and seems to have enough clearance for yard riding. I had a cart as a kid but it was real low to the ground and I would sometimes get it stuck from lack of ground clearance.

Mike....

nylyon

Well, believe it or not I haven't even tried yet. I'm still trying to get this governor thing straightened out, need to purchase new springs and linkages but can't read the spec number. I may need to "guess" and take a purchase leap of faith.

I never had a go-kart as a kid, but I wanted one in the worst way. It wasn't all that bad, I had a Mini-Bike (but it was only 3.5HP)