Sign in to follow this  
kajamo240

K181s

kajamo240

My B-80 has been grinding when I try to start it for a while and now it has finally stopped turning over. I am assuming a bad starter or gear ring.

I havent taken anything apart yet but I am curious on how much these would cost to replace...? How difficult is it to replace the gear ring? By the drawings, it doesnt seem all that difficult to replace but I always end up getting up over my head once I dive into things like this...... :notworthy:

pfrederi

The ring gear is part and parcel of the flywheel...you will have to replace the flywheel about $20 plus shipping on ebay all the time. That said I doubt it is the ring gear more likely a problem with the pinion on the starter motor or the starter motor itself. Pull the engine sheet metal and you can inspect the flywheel teeth... Go to the Kohler website and download teh free service manual for the K series it has several pages on starter motors....They are also frequently on ebay in teh 30-50 dollar range

Lane Ranger

Matt/Paul: I had the same kind of grinding noise earlier this year on my B-80 and thought the worse, but eventually I figured out I just had a weak battery.

The starter wasn;t gettin eonough juice and ran real, real slow with a very grinding kind of sound.

I hooked the charger up and started it and no noise n, no problem. However, next time without the charger she was at it again.

I went out and bought a new battery.

kajamo240

This battery isnt more than a year old and its been acting up for awhile now. (At least 4 years and getting worse as the years pass.)

Should I not be keeping the battery in the tray all the time? I know I have some wires that are pretty corroded as well and that could be the culprit as well... :notworthy:

dscott2000

Matt/Paul: I had the same kind of grindling noise earlier this year on my B-80 and thought the worse, but eventually I figured out I just had a weak battery.

The starter wasn;t gettin eonough juice and ran real, real slow with a very grinding kind of sound.

I hooped the charger up and started it and no noise n, no problem. However, next time without the charger she was at it again.

I went out and bought a new battery.

Im with you on this one. My Raider had the same problem when I got it and I just gave the battery a quick charge and I was good. Plus, I had a corrosion problem with the ground cable. No biggie.. I just changed out the terminal connector and it was good.

sorekiwi

This battery isnt more than a year old and its been acting up for awhile now. (At least 4 years and getting worse as the years pass.)

I just had a battery die that was 11 months old. I have another that is 3 years old, both have been treated the same way...

Now the argument is going to start about whether you need to pull the batteries out and store them somewhere warm forr the winter....

A little oil on the bendix system on the end of the starter helps things along as well.

kajamo240

I just went to Napa and asked for a battery for a riding lawn mower and they gave me just the standard battery. Should I get a larger battery to help assist with the power issue?

Now the argument is going to start about whether you need to pull the batteries out and store them somewhere warm forr the winter....

I was going to bring the battery inside this winter so that it didn't freeze and was still warm and ready to go for when I need to do some snowblowing...

kajamo240

Battery works great. I took of the flywheel sheild and realized that I need that gear ring and starter. The teeth on both are rounded off! :notworthy::thumbs::WRS:

I need to get this fixed before winter is over!

stevasaurus

I would check with Kohler...the fly wheel is part #114..I did not see anything on the start/generator...shouldn't be to hard to fix. You can't get in over your head

with the help on this site. It's like driving in Chicago...you can't get lost...just a little confused.

:notworthy:

WH nut

You may be able to save the ring gear by turning it over

kajamo240

That is a good idea to turn it around but the teeth are barely touching each other anymore...

WH nut

My 520 was pretty bad but I turned it and it has been working great

kajamo240

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it, right? :notworthy:

Sure would save me a few bucks.