Sign in to follow this  
bork

slow air leak

bork

Put the recomended amount of slim in & still slow leak. Drove around block & over rough terrain to dipserse in tire. still leaks. So I decided to suds check, & leaks where I suspected & where slim cant get to. The rim /bead seat. Has anyone ever losened up tire & injected a bead of silicon/rtv between tire & rim? with success? I know if I put enough slim in there & took wheel assemble off & rotated sideways, good posibility of sealing leak. BUT caulking better idea? more cost effective . Better fix?

Sparky

As long as your breaking the bead why not fix it with a tube?

Mike.........

can whlvr

i have had tires that couldnt take a tube because of wire threads inside the tire,so i used slime and took the tire off the tractor and let them sit on there sides for a while,it worked till i could afford new ones,

Kelly

I say tube it, the cost of the slime, is not much less than a tube, now you will have a heck of a mess to clean up inside the tire.

sorekiwi

I always tube them.

tarcoleo

Duct tape comes to the rescue again. Local tire place lines the

inner surface of the wheel with duct tape before installing inner

tubes. They consider puncture more likely to come from problems

with the rim, not the tire. Works for me.

Tom in RI :scratchead:

Rollerman

Slime has a pretty big drawback too....it will promote rust on the inside of your rims.

bork

Slime has a pretty big drawback too....it will promote rust on the inside of your rims.

I dont like the sounds of that.

HorseFixer

There is really only two solutions, 1 of which every one recommended already. The other is take tire off rim and sand and paint the rim (THE BEAD AREA) might as well paint whole rim tho. I bet that the Tube Idea is lookin better all the time Huh? :scratchead:

Irv

I break the bead on the side that's leaking, wire brush the inside lip of the rim and the tire bead and then clean with a rag. Then I brush general purpose grease on the inside lip fairly heavy. Then fill the tire with about 20 lbs. of air. If you want less air in it, let it out after your sure it's sealed. This is what they do in my friends garage to tires that have rim leak and it usually works.

Coadster32

I try to tube everything. Even new tires. Never a problem.

Indy w h

I work at a tire shop and DON'T reccomend slime or fix a flat because

1. The tire won't build enuff heat to activate slime or f a f

2. It's a pain in the arse to clean them out

3. It makes a mess down the front of your clothes

dismount your tire - wire brush your rim- check for burs-

install tube. It's that easy :notworthy:

wheelhorse101

i used bead lock on mine works great

bork

Whats bead lock & where to get? Do you guys mount you own tires? manually with tire irons?

HorseFixer

I Use Irons On An Old Rim And Rubber Coated Tools Like Channel Locks or Cresent Wrench On freshly Painted Rim. :notworthy:

Indy w h

Bead lock is a think black tarry goo it is applied to a rim that is pittedon the bead edge

of a rim that won't seal. If your tire is leaking arond the bead you need to inspect the

bead for severe pitting. If you wire brush it and it is rough to the feel you can

1. Put in tube

2. Get different rim

3. Use bead lock

if you use bead lock just smear it on the rim on the bead wait 5 min. Inflate tire

at the shop we put in extra pounds of air to seal the bead. We buy bead lock off

our tech tire guy.

Indy

bork

If I remember correctly, I did clean rim about a year or two ago because of slow leak, but no difference. I had to air up to get in closed trailer. Then it sat . Now I'm trying to get ready for snow season, the old motorcycle chain on front sounds great, but want to make sure it holds air so my wife dont have to mess with it, if I'm away.

If I put in a tube, I have to de-rim tire on one side, If I use bead lock just break bead & clean , goop up, & re-air. What's the official name of the bead lock & who makes? Who's you tech guy? a supplier like Mac or Snap-on tools? On down side, I wander if it makes it crazy to remove down road. (Like glue) I'm leary of playing with the small rims & tire irons.

Indy w h

Tech is the co. Name. If you have a tire shop around you they can hook you up.

Tech handles all the tire plugs,boots,valvestems,etc. Yes you will hafta take the tire

off 1 side to install tube. Just break bead and use 2 big screwdrivers to take tire off

Indy

p.s. Bead lock is also called rim seal. And yes ita pain working on a tire that has it on it.

bitten

bork

There really isnt to much to breaking down a tire, nothing to be leary off. I was talking to my neighbor one day about tires and he said to bring it down to his house and he would be able to help me. That night I was out in my shop and got to thinking about it and said to myself if he can do it I should be able to. Been doing it ever since. I had one set that I had to put in my press to break the beads loose but I got them off and still use them to this day. I guess what Im trying to say is just go for it and leave that slim alone. Its not the proper fix to your problem and will only lead to a bigger problem down the road. I have seen tire places that have sign that say not to bring tires that have slim in them to them to repair.

If it were I, I would break the tire down clean the rim, paint it and put tubes in it.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

WH nut

Once you slime it, you might as well throw the tire away if you ever have to work on it again. 6 bucks for a tube and be done with it.

bork

If taking tire off rim or one side, Do you keep assembly on tractor or take wheel assembly & place flat on ground? Or what to hold while prying?

chazm

Hi Bork -

I take tire/rim assy off - I put on my work bench or throw an old piece of carpet down on the floor & go to it .. :WRS:

It's good old manual labor... some cursing :notworthy:

But all & all ... not bad

Chaz :thumbs:

whfan74

Definitely take it off. Doesn't take too much except a little muscle. Slap a tube in their and be done with it. If you can sand it down a bit, you never know what might have happened over time.

Good luck!

bork

I was already to tube it & it is still full of air. Now what? If it aint broke , dont fix it? or ????