Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

How to Preserve a Serial # Tag

chesbaycruiser

I apologize if I'm covering old ground here, but I'm working on bringing a 1988 312 back to life and I'm just wondering, since this tractor basically has a label and not the old style "metal tag" type serial number plate, how do you protect it during the restoration process....sand-blasting, sanding, repainting, etc?

As you can see, this fender has some pretty severe surface rust spots that will definitely require some serious abrasion.

Would appreciate any input, thoughts or experiences from those who have already dealt with this particular issue...

Thanks,

Chris

wheel_horse5.jpg

George

I used the flexable ruber magnets that my wife has stuck all over the refridgerator. You can trim them to fit over the areas that you want to protect and they won't lift the lettering from the tag when you remove them.

KyBlue

Well you might send a email to TD along with some good photo(s) and the dimensions of it and ill bet he can reproduce it for ya

chesbaycruiser

Not a bad thought Scott, but if possible I'd like to preserve the original. :hide:

George, that's as good as anything I could come up with....if it goes into the blaster, I think I'll try it! :scratchead:

Thanks to you both!

If anyone else has thoughts, would love to hear 'em!

Chris

W9JAB

Good tip! :scratchead:

M550

Hi. Personally I used the hot air gun to melt the glue. Use it on the back of the fender / piece of metal, on the low heat. Spread the heat around and under the decal allways from the back :scratchead: . Don't stop the mouvement and not too hot as it will melt the decal. Once the metal is warm enough and using a fine blade, slowly lift at corners and then across the edge of the decal. Pull slowly but without stoping. It worked for the decal on my mowing deck :hide: .

My 2 cents.

Ltr, Didier