Sign in to follow this  
bobert94

D250 or D200

bobert94

I plan on purchasing a D series tractor next year. Either D250 or aD200. kind of concerned about finding parts for the Renault motor in the D250 though any input would be appreciated. :scratchead:

Sparky

You are aware that the D-250 and the D-200 are totally differant animals right? The 250 has the 4 cylinder with a 10 speed manual tranny and the 200 has a Kohler twin with a hydrostatic tranny and nothing about them is interchangable including attachments.

Mike........

canam1991

I have both my 250 is mow with and take very good care of. my d160 is my work tractor and i'n not concern about finding parts but if you want a tractor two show the 250 is a eye catcher

canam1991

wheelhorse065.jpg

wheelhorse046.jpg

bobert94

The D250 is way to cool. Has more levers than a pro stock dragster

rockbuilt

I don't have a D200 yet but I have recently bought a D250 like any model that old part are sometimes hard to come by. I hear tell Nappa auto sells parts for the motor.

I have had a hard time finding attachments still looking for a 59" snow plow but, I will find one

had one on line already but it was over 1,000 miles away. I say get what you like, the hunt for parts is the fun part :scratchead:

gregg.d250

While it can be more of a challenge to find parts for the Renault B800 engine, it's not impossible. Member CharlesD250 and I recently put our heads together and found out what's available from Napa:

Points - ECH CS251 - $7

Coil - MPE IC14SB (has internal resistor) - $17

Condenser - ECH EP153 - $7

Plugs - Autolite 414 - $1.70 each

Cap and Rotor are available from Beru, but we're working on locating a source to buy them cheaper than some vendors sell them for.

The mower deck is identical to a John Deere Model 400 60" deck from 1976-1980, save a left-side skid instead of another guy wheel, and a different lift linkage. You can get blades, idlers, belts, bearings, etc from a JD dealer.

Many parts from a Renault Dauphine or Caravelle from 1962-1969 will work. Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc. Clutch is a 20-spline unit. I think Toro still sells clutch parts for the Groundsmasters using the B800 engine. You can also check out ebay.de and do a search for a Gutbrod 2500, its German equivalent, manufactured in Belgium. The D250 was a re-badged Gutbrod 2500 and imported, probably something to do with AMC's ownership of W-H in the 1970s and the AMC-Renault Franco-American partnership at that time.

Mid-America Power Center is a distributor for engine parts, as Continental Teledyne now owns the design rights to the engine. It was used in the Toro Groundsmaster 72 and others, so some parts are available directly through WH-Toro. I believe the B800 engine was also used in some stationary industrial applications and fork lifts.

While the D-Series is cool, the D250 is just ballsy, and I couldn't resist picking one up. It's even got parking lamps and low beams built into the headlights.... talk about cool..... not to mention the amount of levers and controls to play with as mentioned above..... and a foot throttle to boot!!

There is a way to install a Fram 3614 oil filter on the engine. PM CharlesD250 or myself to find out how.

Attachments are the limiting factor, but they're around. If you are or know a good fabricator, this might not be as big an issue. Adaptation could be a option.

After 1978, dual front hydraulics were offered. Earlier models would need modification. 1978 also saw the introduction of a different transmission shift linkage and some tweaks to the trans/rear axle.

Beware of play in the steering. Steering box/shaft were made in Italy. Parts are not available to tighten them back up. You'd have to have some custom work done. Tie rod ends are 'understressed' as installed on a D250.

If you'd like to hear the engine running, do a search on YouTube for 'Wheel Horse D250' and you'll find 2 good video clips - one of an engine starting and running, and another of a tree being pulled down by a D250.

Best wishes on your decision---- Bottom line: You can't go wrong either way, it's just what's more important to fill your needs.

Gregg

alan8373

Did you guys figure out where to get a rotor and/or cap for the renault b800 for the d-250's? I just picked one of these puppies up today and can't wait to get it running!! i got a blade deck and front blade for her :notworthy:

weien's wheel horses

Any new comments i need help with clutch

kthack657

The other thing is if you needed parts for the renault engine, they used them in the Toro Groundskeeper mowers too, and they are a lot more easy to find than a 250 :)

alan8three73

@weien's wheel horses -- what help do you need with your D250's clutch? I might be able to help. 

Cutlas3391

$$$$

Edited by Cutlas3391