Sign in to follow this  
benc160

1975 C-160 Auto Transaxle

benc160

Hi guys, I am restoring my grandpa's 1975 C-160 Auto w/ hydralic lift. I found a few cracks in the transaxle case were I believe someone at one time used to long of a bolt to attach the hydralic motor to the case. I would like to find a parts tractor to replace the case. I have found an 8 speed tractor on craigslist and wanted to make sure the 8 speeds and autos used the same transaxle assembly. Any information would be helpful! thanks, Ben

baerpath

The 8spd case is totally different

If your close by I have a trans from a C120 hydro. I'm in Canajoharie NY

Duane

Duff

Hi, Ben!

:hide: !

The guys here will get you squared around. Glad you found us!

Duff :scratchead:

benc160

Thanks for the information and offer, Duane, but I am located in north eastern ohio. I'm not really in a big hurry on this project so i'll keep looking around here. Thanks, Ben

kpinnc

A mechanical tranny will directly bolt into a tractor that was a hydro, but you'll need all the other parts that make it work- clutch pedal, clutch and brake rods, different brake band, etc... On a 1975 model you may need to change the entire center console/ fender pan support.

If you have a donor machine of the same general vintage you'll have all the parts, but it isn't just a 30 minute job. It is much easier on a newer model.

Good luck!

Kevin

can whlvr

if possible i would keep that machine an auto,the good thing is you didnt say the hydro was toast,so maybe you can find a trashed pump with a good transaxel and get it cheap,its not too hard to swap out the uni drive and put your pump on it,dont forget to get a new gasket which are still available.

benc160

Yes I plan to keep this tractor an automatic for sure. The hydrostatic transmissions are the best for mowing in close quarters since you can change directions and speeds quickly. My pump works good, but after the tractor warms up the hydralic lift is slow. The major "hard parts" in the hydrostatic unit are in good shape but I am going though it to replace all of the orings and seals. -Ben