Sign in to follow this  
Crow Horse

Acetone as a fuel additive....??

Crow Horse

In the search to squeeze every last bit of HP out of the tiny motor in my personal vehicle I came across using acetone as a fuel additive. I tried it over a 6 month span although I didn't take any mileage readings, but their was an improvement in performance ( read- seat of the pants feel). I stopped using it as it was a bit of a pain to add at the gas station when it was below zero. I'm going to start using it again as well as in my B-80.

I was curious as if anyone else had any experience with using acetone as a fuel additive...

Here's an interesting link ......

Acetone as a fuel additive....

sawhorse

Acetone is a strong solvent that could eat through rubber fuel hoses in your filler neck.

I suppose it could be washed down with gasoline to prevent that from happening.

Your wheel horse likely doesn't have any devices to prevent the escape of fumes from

the gasoline. A product that would further volatilize gasoline might not stay in your

wheel horse tank very long and could lead to an explosive atmosphere in your garage.

Crow Horse

In the concentrations they suggest which is 0.0003 % to 0.0025 % acetone maximum, I doubt there will be any ill effects. In those concentrations I haven't had any degradation of fuel lines in my vehicle, so I don't see that it would be an issue on my WH.

I'm going to give it a try and see if there is any improvement......

rick

After reading the link, I am going to try it, too. Thanks Crow Horse...

pbradley68

Myth Busters tested it in Episode 53 and considers it "Busted".

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/05/explodi...conspiracy.html

If you're running a pre 1986 engine you may want to consider a lead additive (if they are still available). Automobile engines were adjusted to run on lead free fuel by 1980 but I'm not sure about the smaller engines which is why I say 1986 because that's when the EPA had required it be down to 1/10th gram per gallon. See EPA link below. What makes me think that smaller engines were lagged beyond 1980 is that I have a 1985 Kawasaki KLR 600 on/off road Enduro motorcycle which recommended leaded fuel in the manual and on a tank sticker. Also, since small engines don't have Catalytic Converters like on cars which would get ruined if you ran leaded fuel in them they could get away with delaying to non leaded fuel. AND human nature (plus companies bottom lines) makes me think that small engine companies would wait until the last minute before spending money to make the adjustment to non lead gas (in my opinion of course).

http://www.epa.gov/history/topics/lead/02.htm

muka

i have used laquer thinner for years in my machine and my truck it has no ill effects on my machines and i plow with a 1960 suburban 400 and my truck is a 2001 dodge dakota. marvel mystery oil works to in the winter months.

bork

I've tried it (cars & motorcycle) & no difference. I read the article & sounds promising but just typical cyber space clutter foating around. I find myself believing much less in stuff I see on the net.

HorseFixer

It works ,I have been doing it for years and have spoke in great depth to louie on the phone several times. I have been useing a scan gauge for years and they work great. The best way to do it is through a fogger which I have on my Jeep. :scratchead:

bork

I have a scan guage also & cant tell. How did you read yours? Is it reproducable results?