Sign in to follow this  
cwilson

First Wheel Horse

cwilson

Well, my Father-in-law gave me yet another project to work on [the last one was his daughter] a 1972 Commando 800.

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200015.JPG

It has a few problems.

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200007.JPG

The hood bottom is so bad that I'm looking for a replacement.

Idler pulley, although I have found one at Agrisupply.

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200010.JPG

The tie rods are shot. They've been welded on rather sloppily before.....

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200011.JPG

One of the plates from around the gearshift is beyond repair. I'll either leave it off or fab one.

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200012.JPG

The Kohler K181. According to my father-in-law it ran fine until it got warm. I think that was a long time ago.

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200014.JPG

A closer shot so you can see what I'm dealing with. Lots of rust. I think this sat under some trees for quite a while.

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200020.JPG

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200021.JPG

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200030.JPG

The deck is beyond repair. I plan to use the WH for dirt work and plowing. I have a JD for mowing and that's about all it can do.

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200000.JPG

One more, sorry its a dark shot....

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200025.JPG

Yes, need a new dash plate as well....

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200009.JPG

But there's progress....Frame is primed and painted, as is most of the tractor. The trans will have to be opened once I get the damned hitch pin out.

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200008.JPG

So far all the info I've needed has been here at RedSquare. I'll post more pics as soon as there's progress....

can whlvr

good start on that old girl,and good luck,

KyBlue

Good start indeed. Were the spindles off that deck any good??

bitten

C. Willson

I hope his daughter was an easer project then this. Sure looks like you have your work cut out for you. When you get it done you should have a nice tractor.

Good luck,

P.J.

Save Old Iron

:scratchead:

captjake

I think you could call that a top discharge deck :scratchead: good luck, looks good.

buckeyebill440

from one newbie to another welcome and great job! in the middle of a project myself, you're right about the help here, these guys are tops! as for the projects, i'll take the one in the garage anytime! sorry no pics...no camera...

cwilson

Bitten - The tractor was a just a pretty good gift compared to his daughter. She's the best thing that ever happened to me. But to continue the joke, she needed paint and a little body work, but she held her value through the years....

Found a replacement idler pulley at Agrisupply for $7.00. I highly recommend them. I luckily have a local retail store.

I had an idea to make new tie rods by buying four new replacement ends and linking them with threaded rod and jam nuts. Unfortunately the tie rod ends are fine threaded and finding fine threaded 7/16th rod locally isn't happening.

Also found out that somewhere along the line someone replaced one of the front wheels. The replacement had a larger than original spindle hole so it wore gouges into the spindle. I'll add a bearing.

4StarCstms - I haven't touched the deck to check them, but I seriously doubt they turn at all....I will let you know later today....

Also, there was a drawbar added to move trailers around. I may put it back if I can keep it from interfering with the sleeve hitch and implements I intend to use [once I find them].

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%200031.JPG

So what's left?

I need a seat, a hood, tie rods, front wheel bearing, new belt, battery, dash plate, probably will need tires [all 4], sleeve hitch, lifting cable, a few new zerks, get the engine rebuilt and running, and a decal set.

And I just realized, I don't have a key.

kpinnc

Being from NC, I have seen much worse... :scratchead:

You're off to a good start, and finding the parts you need won't be too difficult.

finding fine threaded 7/16th rod locally isn't happening

I'm doing the same as you with tie rods on a project machine, and found 7/16 x 20 threaded rod at Fastenal, which is a local contractor-level hardware store. I think it was about $8 for a 3 ft section.

Good luck!

Kevin

cwilson

Thanks kpinnc. I never thought of Fastenal. I've been going through the Grainger catalog, as we have one of those here too. As you can tell, I hate ordering parts. I never seem to get the right parts if I can't touch it before I buy it. I did piece together the old tie rods, and they'll do for a little while....

4StarCstms - The spindles on the deck are completely frozen. Do you need some?

N.C. horserider

By the pictures and what you have posted it looks like the same parts were what I replaced. My deck looks almost exactly the same rusted through and beyond repair. Dash panel was broken, muffler rotted, tires flat and dry rotted, tie rods, battery, seat, body panels rusted. The only difference was the color. Frame looks good, just take your time and it will come out looking really good.

KyBlue

Nah, just never know when one might...always on the lookout for spares!

Look forward to seeing your build...

cwilson

I've torn down the engine to clean and inspect it. Had to do something while the paint dries. Luckily the oil was still oil, not mayo. No water in the engine. Lots of carbon though. The crankcase is in great shape, no cracks, not much wear at all to the internals. The Top of the piston is suspect though. Even the spark plug was clean. I'll need a carb kit.

Is that flywheel nut as hard to put on as it was to take off?

What should I be on the look out for? Are there specific parts I should just replace now that I have it torn down?

Too greasy to pull out the camera at the moment so I'll post pics Thursday.

By the way, on my way back into my shop this evening I opened the door to find a 1 foot long baby Diamondback coiled up and ready for me.

He's no longer with us.

Indy w h

Hey, :hide: it looks good for us junkies that can see beyond the rust,$$it

takes to restore Hang in there you'll get it done and have a fine lookin horse

Good luck Indy

P.s. Snake tastes good skewered-up on the grill!!!! :scratchead:

gwgdog66

:scratchead: Looks like a good project!

Five types of snakes I hate!

Big ones; Little ones; Live ones; Dead ones; and Rubber ones.

• Like 1

cwilson

I've had deep fried rattlesnake. It's not my favorite.

I'm not fond of them but they keep the mice out of the house. Its worse in the springtime when the mornings are cool. You see a lot more of them trying to warm up. I tend to carry a gun while doing yard work. It freaks the neighbors out [though I only have a couple]. I shoot the fast ones and use a hoe or a shovel on the slow ones. We only kill the poisonous ones though. Copperheads, rattlesnakes, and the occasional cottonmouth from the pond. The worst are the black racers. As the name suggests, they're pretty fast, but that's not the worst part. That would be the fact that black racers are curious. Most snakes avoid people, you'll stumble upon them. Racers will follow you. I've been at the desk in my shop once and saw movement down at my feet. I slid the chair back and there was one reared up and looking at me. I broke my rule about not killing the nonpoisonous snakes.

Still trying to get that hitchpin out.

HorseFixer

:ychain: Wilson your off to a great start! :scratchead: There is one thing for sure about our old friend RUST That stuff is workin even while yer sleepin :hide: As far as the snakes go..... bring that rascal up here we can throw it on the grill along with my steak ordurves! :ychain:

cwilson

A bit further along now- 95& of the paint is done, save the hood and fasteners. I had to fix my tie rods by pinning the ends in place and taking a grinder to them. The tires all need tubes and one front hub needs a bearing. A news seat and hood will have to wait for UPS. The engine is on the bench waiting for a carb kit, though I'll paint it if it runs, but not yet. I finally got the hitch pin out but I had to take Friday off to do it.

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%20painted0002.JPG

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%20painted0003.JPG

wheelhorse%20commando%20800%20painted0004.JPG

chamjack

Coming along nicely :scratchead:

bitten

Coming right along. Im envious of you guys that can get there tractors done in a quick way. I've been working on my restore for to long.

Keep up the good work.

cwilson

I don't sleep, the shop is well insulated so I don't wake anyone, and I'm kinda singleminded. I never thought about it as going fast, but if I didn't have to paint and wait on parts I might be done by now. I started 3 weeks ago....

cwilson

Made some progress in reassembly:

commando%20800%200009.JPG

Also found these on the Wheel Horse Facebookgroup:

2386_1023821240558_1376062861_30052635_6560_n.jpg

2386_1023821560566_1376062861_30052637_7741_n.jpg

2386_1023821520565_1376062861_30052636_7500_n.jpg

Sarge

Rats, there goes two ideas for that spare frame....

Lookin good....

Sarge

cwilson

Almost done. A new battery, fill the engine and transmission with oil, put in some gas and we may be able to start it.

commando%20800%200115.JPG

Of course I keep forgetting, I don't have the keys....Are they the old universal style?

N.C. horserider

you should be able to get the regular indak key that's what mine takes