Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

RESTORING BRINLEY PLOW

kpinnc

On a side note I do have an all black Brinly plow here I had forgot about.

Stephen,

I think all of the newer Brinly implements are all black. At least that's how they are on the web. :thumbs:

Kevin

Rollerman

Not straight? Don't even plow with my old man around H e used to come out to the field and sight down the rows

Come on Joel...any farmer knows if the rows are just straight the water just runs right through....plow in a zig zag patern & you get much better iragation..... :imstupid: ..... :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Oh now come on stephen thats why us ohio farmers plow across the hills instead of up and don them like the indianan guys. :thumbs: Oh wait you don't have hills in your fields :thumbs:

Rollerman

Nope all flat here....but we have trunk lines,fiber optic cables, & them pesky fences to deal with when plowing.

Of course we have the old order Mennonites here too that plow with a horse but disc with a steel wheel tractor pulling the disc on the asphalt without travel wheels! :thumbs:

T-Mo

Here's another source for decals, if it hasn't been mentioned yet:

Jim Buske's

combatmp29r

Stephen we have some amish up by mom and dad that use all horses. They have a kick baler with a pony motor on it to run the PTO. You ought to see that poor team of horses when the baler kicks.

glenn27

I have a 10" also that came with an old Cub i got last year--and it was originally cream/black (i said originally)... :thumbs:

T-Mo

Kelly,

I went back and edited your post with the pictures to get them in order. Joel is right, hit the "enter" between the text and the pictures helps get them better organized.

Now, do you have any more pictures of that Lawn Boy? Toro bought LB in 1988 and I'm not sure if that one there was influence by Toro or not. If you get the model number and serial number off of it you can go to the Lawn Boy site and there's a similar page there to Toro's Product Center that you can view parts and also get the year it was made and general info on it. :thumbs:

Kelly

Thanks Terry. I'll start a new post about this tractor.

illinilefttackle

:thumbs: Well guys-I worked on the plow some today-I had to use PB and a torch here and there to get the threads on the adjuster to free up-but no matter what I did I couldn't get things to work right. There was just something wrong.....

I went to the computer and studied the pics of plows you guys gave me....just couldn't see what was not right-I couldn't turn the adjuster because it would hit the plow after 3/4 of a turn, and the hitch connection seemed too high off the ground....I couldn't tilt it anymore because the curved arm was hitting the back of the plow. :D

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks-the curved part of the plow was atteached to the straight up and down part of the plow IN THE WRONG HOLE_TOO LOW DOWN. I took it apart and out it up higher in the right hole-and wa-la everything fit and worked fine (a mind is a terrible thing to waste) I don't know why it took me so long to figure this out! I wish my camera was working-I would show you what I mean. Boy! I really feel like a City Farmer now. But it's fixed-now to Blast it and paint it. Anybody got an idea of how to polish the plow-and not rough up the surface? I tried "naval Jelly" but that only took off surface rust-Thanks-AL :thumbs:

TT

Glad to hear you got the plow figured out, Al.

I guess the best way to polish it would be progressively finer sandpaper. If you have a power sander that would be much easier, but hand-sanding will work too.

Start with about 180 or 320 grit (depending on how bad it is) and work up to about 600 or 1000 grit paper. (The dirt and stones will finish the job. :thumbs: )

Oil it up good and you'll be done. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

He's a pic of mine the paint is pretty good I'd say a shade or 2 darker than the wheels on the tractors, with black blade and colter.

100_8907.jpg

Dragging up this old post to try and find some white paint for my Brinly cultivator (trying to splash on some paint before it gets too cold...).

Can anyone suggest a color? In pictures is looks whiter than the Linien Beige or Almond of the old wheels, but several aothers have specified "off white" as well.

Edit: spelling!!!

jusjeepn

Mike, If you can give me a couple of days I can get the exact color match formula for you from a buddy of mine. One problem, He mixes RM automotive paint and his machine will only give me a formula fro mixing RM paint. I have a NOS cultivator that has only been used once. The paint is still perfect. If you want I could send you a piece of mine for a color match. PM me if you want to!

sorekiwi

Mike, If you can give me a couple of days I can get the exact color match formula for you from a buddy of mine. One problem, He mixes RM automotive paint and his machine will only give me a formula fro mixing RM paint. I have a NOS cultivator that has only been used once. The paint is still perfect. If you want I could send you a piece of mine for a color match. PM me if you want to!

Thanks Pat, but thats too much trouble. This cultivator is going to be used, it's not going to be a museum piece. It'll be getting a rattle can paint job, I'm just trying to find a color thats kinda close to what it's supposed to be.

They look pretty white in all the photo's - is it similar to the white on the wheels of the later Horses? or closer to the old Horse wheel color?

My wife was an Interior Designer and could pick out shades of colors that I couldnt see (and I'm supposedly not color-blind).

Where abouts in Indiana are you Pat? I'm at Heritage Lake, about 40 miles due west of Indianapolis.

big mike

Older Brinlys were Wimbeldon white(60s Ford color) newer ones are black.

From the pics these all look like 10"

8" and 12" are not as plentiful as 10"

I have never seen or heard of any CAT 0 plows other than 12"

The coulter should swing in its yoke....there is a pin that controls its amount of swing.The coulter is generally set as deep as possible,ie the deeper the better until the yoke drags or picks up trash.The coulter works better when it is offset to the land side of the moldboard....usually an inch and a half.If you want a real nice furrow you want to run a coulter,sometimes guys get frustrated and take them off or think it will plow better without the coulter.

Sanding or wire wheeling will get the mold board clean enough to plow and the soil will scour it clean......sandy or loamy soil is better for scouring and you need a good scour before trying to plow clay or wet sticky soil.

I don't claim to be an expert ,just stuff I have learned at plow days and owning 8 plows.

Anyone have land in northen Indiana or southern Michigan for a plow day this fall? :banghead:

jusjeepn

Mike, I'm 72mi NE of Indy on SR 9 and 37 in Marion.(46952). I think big mike hit it on the head there. Chrysler had a color very close to this in 66 and 67. You may be able to find a chip at your local paint shop that would give you a real good idea. Offer still stands! :banghead:

Pat