HorseFixer

Dukes Snow Blower Automation

HorseFixer

I just watched the videos Duke and it seems to work well although its only a couple inches of snow. I do think that you have the blower feet set to low and I would raise them and let the blower get closer to the driveway.

Mike...........

Thanks Guys! :thumbs: Well mike the Videos that are on there the clutch was slipping BIG TIME and thats why the thing looked like grain was pouring out the chute. I had the Skid Shoes set about 3/8" off the ground :notworthy: They were set so low when I got it the Scraper underneath was about war out. :) My driveway has a couple places where the concrete is about 1/2" uneven ans I dont want to BUCK IT UP :banghead: and go azz end over applecart It should do much better since the clutch has been tightened on the next Video! :WRS:

HorseFixer

As I had mentioned previously I feel I need a bit more weight on the rear and front. I am in search of some front wheel weight if anyone has any? :notworthy: I do have a small set of rears that I could sandmich to the other Poured lead weights I have on there, and that will, give me 100 lbs a side total. I sandblasted and primed those today with etch primer, after they dry I will sneak out in the garage and put a couple coats of Valspar white on them. Does Valspar make the white in the restoration series? :thumbs: my local TSC store only has the white in the plain kind and I like the restoration stuff cause it dries much quicker with hardener than the plain stuff! <_<

x182.jpg

x183.jpg

bustedglass

Duke, all I can say is :notworthy:WOW - WOW - WOW :thumbs:

Looks like another spread in the LGCM my friend. And I can't wait to see it. :WRS:

stevasaurus

Duke...where my Tractor Supply had only tractor colors...I was at Home DePot

or Lowes the other day and noticed they had a huge array of colors in the Valspar.

They had the Restoration Series also...not sure about the white though, just noticed

all the colors. Worth a check mate.

Curmudgeon

Due to lack of interest followed by lack of space, I sent a lot front wheel weights to the scrap yard. They weren't any stock weights though. If you go to a store that sells barbell weights, you'll find plenty of wheel weights.

Go the section with the flat weights, with 1" hole. 7 1/2 pounders will fit nicely up against the rim. 5 pounders will fit inside the wheel. Drill 4 holes in all that will align with the corresponding holes in the wheels, bolt together whatever you decide to use using 2 holes, then bolt them in place with the remaining holes,

If you want to build from the inside out, go to the section that sells the weights with 2" holes. I think it's the 2 1/2 pound weights that will fit over the center hub, but still inside the wheel. Take about 3 to clear the hub, then switch to the 5 pound weights as described above. Only two holes needed if you build all the way up from the bottom.

Go high tech, and split some of the weights, bolt them to the inside of the wheel.

You can get over 50 pounds per wheel if you really want to, and have virtually all of the weight within the sidewall of the tire.

HorseFixer

Brother Dale I went to 7 stores tonight that sell Bar Bells Some kid with a neck as big as a friggin Tree TRunk says sir may I help you? With this big azz lip hanging out! Yeah he had like one of those lip ring things too! <_< I told him to go see the WiZaRd! Anyways the hub on the front rim is about 2" long on the long hub side, and the diameterof the inside ring is like 5 5/8" and every 2 1/2 lb weight with 2" inside hole I looked at was 6" to 6 1/4" The second tier measures 7 1/2" all the weights in the 5lb class were 7 5/8". If you put the weights on the same side as the Valve Stem and the grease zirt then you have that stuff to deal with! I think my best option at this point is get some weight by liquid in there like window washer fluid, and keep searching for some weights just for the outside. Did I tell you I have a 125 Ingot of Lead? Im about ready to pour my own! :notworthy:

x106.jpg

x108.jpg

x107.jpg

HorseFixer

Well since Christmas is over time to get a little work done. One of the main things on my agenda is to get some weight on the front end. I decided to take Kelly's advice and go with a wider rim so I used the ones off my 417A. After removing the tire and cleaning the rim up I used aluminum foil tape to seal the rim. From What? :thumbs: Poured Hot Lead. Since I had 210 lbs given me might as well use it. Well I needed something to keep it sticking to the rim. I also needed to make a hub cavity as not to inter fear with rim attachment to the front Axel. I used aluminum coil stock for this and made it 2" thick to extend the rim to make the lead weight thicker. I used a turkey fryer burner for the heat source and used an Ole aluminum pot that was given to me to heat the lead in. Lead melts at 660 deg and lead over 1100 deg. I melted the lead just inside the garage with the door wide open. when you melt lead you have to remove the trash and skim it off the top of the lead. funny how dirt and junk floats to the top. Anyway the job worked well but I had to do this in 2 pours because I didn't have enough lead in the pot on the first pour! <_< I may reheat and pour the rim full again but I want to weigh the weight once cooled. I will report back with more pictures and report on the weight once cooled. :notworthy: Here are some pics.

X194.jpg

X195.jpg

X207.jpg

X208.jpg

X209.jpg

X210.jpg

X198.jpg

X202.jpg

X206.jpg

X212.jpg

X213.jpg

HorseFixer

MJ promised that I would not drink any Beer over Christmas so I agreed but she Didn't say anything about Captain Morgan for medicinal purposes only! :) I have been seeing a Couple "SNOW SNAKES" in the yard and its always a good Idea to go see the Captain in case you get a snake bite! :notworthy: Works For Me!

Anyway after the weight cooled and it came out of the rim pretty good, but I can see I will be peeling the foil tape errrr I mean MJ will be peeling the foil tape out of the rim! :banghead: I was shocked to see the weight it weighed in at a whopping 75 lbs WoW that aught to get the job done :WRS: Here is some pics! Now it time to settle in for the evening and watch some football by the fire that is if I can see the screen! :thumbs: Calling All Captains!

X222.jpg

X215.jpg

X216.jpg

X218.jpg

X219.jpg

X224.jpg

Brrly1

What's up Duke? That's not Michigan colors I see there on that TV screen? What's up with that? Happy New Year!!! See Ya, Bye Burly

Oh Yeah, Go Hawkeyes!!!!

:notworthy:

420lse

Wow, now that's what I call getting there. :notworthy:

rickv1957

Duke,them weights look great :notworthy: ,Rick

Buzz

How are you going to attach them to the rim? I guess you could drill through the lead and use long bolts and big flat washers. It came out looking good. Don't get a hernia putting them on the tractor.

Kelly

Your gonna need a bigger engine just to push that tractor around.

d180man

Hi very nice we was goint to try that but did not know how much lead we would need cant wight to see them on the tractor ! :notworthy::thumbs: :WRS:

Suburban 550

Talked to both Duke and Stevasauras on the phone last night, a three way conversation, and Duke seemed fairly well after his lead smelting operation. No major burns, explosions or brain damage seemed to occur from melting the lead. :WRS: He did talk a little slurred, but I think that was due to the Captain Morgan. :) Weights look good my friend, but I think you should start lookin' into a diesel to move the tractor around with all the weight on it. :thumbs: For your sake I hope one of these days you get snow in Niles, Michigan, because there seems to be a snow drought since you built it. :notworthy:

stevasaurus

Ray & Duke...enjoyed the conversation last night. :WRS: Duke...your weights look pretty good. I knew the Captain would be hel;pful. :thumbs: I need to put that picture of your monster machine back up on the garage again. Woke up to another 1-3 inches today. Think I have cleared the driveway 5 times this season so far. Could use a break...the fun is going away. :notworthy:

HorseFixer

How are you going to attach them to the rim? I guess you could drill through the lead and use long bolts and big flat washers. It came out looking good. Don't get a hernia putting them on the tractor.

Well Buzz you got me to thinking.... Yep I was going to do it with long bolts as you mentioned or even SS threaded rod with nuts washers and prolly lock tight them together.

But I got to thinking, and decided to mold the anchors right in the lead. On the carriage bolts I welded on extra washers to give the lead something to lold around. Jeff Fireman made mention of that Idea when I was talking to him last week after I made mention on achors in the lead. So I remelted the lead and re poured, this is what I cam up with. Tomorrow will trim, clean and paint the weights, And Sandblast and paint the rims. Will most likely get them on by this weekend and give them a test drive on the next storm.

X227.jpg

X228.jpg

X229.jpg

X231.jpg

X232.jpg

Buzz

Will most likely get them on by this weekend and give them a test drive on the next storm.

You have the nerve to call those few flakes you got a storm? :thumbs: Anyway........ The way the weights are attached looks good and should help with traction. hope you didn't lose any more brain cells when pouring the lead. :banghead:

pbradley68

MJ promised that I would not drink any Beer over Christmas so I agreed but she Didn't say anything about Captain Morgan for medicinal purposes only! :wwp: I have been seeing a Couple "SNOW SNAKES" in the yard and its always a good Idea to go see the Captain in case you get a snake bite! :thumbs: Works For Me!

Anyway after the weight cooled and it came out of the rim pretty good, but I can see I will be peeling the foil tape errrr I mean MJ will be peeling the foil tape out of the rim! :lol: I was shocked to see the weight it weighed in at a whopping 75 lbs WoW that aught to get the job done :WRS: Here is some pics! Now it time to settle in for the evening and watch some football by the fire that is if I can see the screen! :banghead: Calling All Captains!

X222.jpg

Do you really drink Captain Morgan Rum?

HorseFixer

Save Old Iron

So what's next Dr. pbradley68, you gonna tell Duke not to sit to close to the TV cause it will ruin his eyesight ??

HorseFixer

So what's next Dr. pbradley68, you gonna tell Duke not to sit to close to the TV cause it will ruin his eyesight ??

Now that's F*ing Hilarious! :thumbs:

Chuck if id known I was gonna live this long I would have taken better care of myself! :banghead:

Save Old Iron

If you ever decide to remelt those weights,

If you throw a newt's eye , a bat wing and dragon's breath (preferably without Capt Jack on his breath),

the old alchemy book I have in the attic says that lead will turn to GOLD :thumbs:

alchemy2.jpg

Paulus , quietis. nex est procul ianua

Save Old Iron

Chuck if id known I was gonna live this long I would have taken better care of myself! :thumbs:

Reminds me of the "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of my teeth"

but then I follow the wise old saying

"Yellow Teeth ?? Wear a brown tie !! " :banghead:

fireman

Duke,

The weights look great! I picked up a few bags of concrete to make mine this weekend. After our conversation the other day I drew up almost the same thing using threaded rod with large fenderwashers welded in place. I'll shoot some pics as I go. Have a great New Years. Tell MJ I said hi (I am getting the t-shirt for her on my next shift!).

Jeff