HorseFixer

Dukes Snow Blower Automation

d180man

Hi yes looking very good ! and ready for the snow !! :notworthy::thumbs: :WRS:

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! :notworthy:

Well I gotta Fess up! The (3) 36 Bulb flat panel LED's for 108 in one light didn't work so good! :thumbs: The got so hot they started burning up! One By One on the LED's started to go Pop goes the Weasel! Seems like a good pal of mine that I highly respect warned me about this prior to it happening! :WRS:

Sooooooo I did some more tests and experimentation and I added (1) 36 bulb Led flat panel to each light. I found out that the front part of the lights don't get hot but the back of the circuit board gets well over 170 deg! When you add 3 of them encased in 1 light globe housing thats were the problem was. Heat built up and KER POW! So LED's can get hot and they need heat sinks and proper ventilation to work right. For now I am going with the LED Bulbs inside the globe and the circuit board on the outside of the globe between the globe and the case where it can get some air. I also removed the 3M sticky tape off the back of the circuit board, I felt that was acting like a blanket insulating the board.

I have talked to several people and they say with the bright LED lights on a snowy background they will be extremely bright! They are really bright I don't know if the videos will show it but there is More light just not as focused in one spot like the halogen. Here are some pics.

The Best Part? About 8 1/2 amps fully loaded everything on. Well below the 15 amps charging system capacity. The videos dont do these LED's light level justice.

x121.jpg

x122.jpg

x124.jpg

OUTSIDE CAB VIDEO 36 LED's

INSIDE CAB VIDEO 36 LED's

H-3 LEDS

HALOGEN

wh500special

Who would have thought you could make an Easy Bake Oven with an array of LED's? :thumbs::notworthy:

Glad you found a way around the thermal management problem.

Snow's headed your way later this week. We're expecting an update!

Steve

HorseFixer

Well I like the way I did the single 36 Panel Led Lights I thought I would step out on a limb and try the 3 again but this time leaving the circuit board outside the globe and ventilate the external case. I made a test light and ran it for 3 hours straight inside a refrigerator figuring I would simulate the conditions they would run in. Then I rand them at room temp without any problem. I used the Baja light to do this they are a little bigger and have more space to mount the panels. After I completed two and tested them I did two more and now have (14) 36 bulb LED panels for a total of 504 LED's. I think I will call it good I have plenty of light to get the Job done. I have a video after the Pictures and notice how bright the Motor Home is! I think once it snows, The lights will illuminate the ground even greater like it does the white motor home. Well here are some pics of my 4 Easy bake ovens! :)

x128.jpg

x130.jpg

Some one remind me to pick up some beer! I spy only four cans left in the crisper! :notworthy:

x131.jpg

x151.jpg

x149.jpg

HALOGENH3LEDLIGHTSCOMPARE4.jpg

Below is a Light Comparison of the Halogen in the Top Photo and the present LED Lights in the bottom Photo as you can see the LED's have a much broader light pattern! I think these are going to be the Ticket :thumbs: and the amp draw with everything on is just under 10 amps. :WRS:

LIGHTCOMPARISON.jpg

Video Of 604 LED Lights On Front Of Tractor

stevasaurus

looks great Duke...we got a coating of the white stuff last night...I think you may get to use it today, if you are getting the lake effect. :notworthy:

Curmudgeon

Tomorrow Duke, tomorrow!

Suburban 550

Duke, the neighbors will be sittin' in their houses with sunglasses on when you turn all them lights on. :notworthy: Glad you got it figured out. :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Okay I don't want no damn laughs but I had to play with it a bit tonight! :WRS: The past few days I have been working out in the garage trying to get the front part cleaned up enough to get our vehicles in and see how things will fit. I have no problems getting mine in and out after MJ's car and the Snow Chucker is in there but MJ bitched and said she thinks she will wipe out the side of her car <_< maybe Ill back her car in each night but that wont work cause she will be against the cabinets and wont be able to get out of her car. :) well all I can say is she will learn to love it or else! :notworthy: Ill be damn if I did all this work to let our vehicles set outside this winter! I built that garage in 1990 and I would honestly say we have both only parked our vehicles in there during that time for about a total of 3 months at different times in that 19 years! :banghead:

Well we went out in the garage tonight and worked cleaning things up for about an hour and when I opened the service door to take some trash out WoW I finally seen about a couple inches of snow! :banghead: I needed to go fill up and I wanted to fill up some gas cans so I had her pull her car in and then I parked the Snow Chucker and pulled the Jeep in. (Thats when I heard her bitching :thumbs: on how close the side of her car was on the passenger side to the cabinets)! So I threw some cans in the Jeep and went and filled up. I decided to play a little bit tonight and see how things worked I ran it through the motions I know I Know I prolly could have used a broom on the drive but I wanted to see how everything worked and get an Idea on how the Lights worked with snow on the ground and everything white, and see how snow stuck to the chute and if it would stick to the wind shield. Well even tho there wasn't much snow It did blow pretty good all things considered and I tryed a few things like shut the blower off and used it for a plow and then engaged the blower and cleared the chute. The snow was on the heavy wet side and I was impressed that it did as well as it did. The tractor turned very well and I can tell it is going to work very well! I can say this, It wont take many passes to get the job done! :banghead: anyways here are some pics we are suppose to get about 6 to 8 inches by Thurs that will be a little better test!

ATWORK001.jpg

ATWORK004.jpg

ATWORK005.jpg

ATWORK008.jpg

ATWORK010.jpg

ATWORK016.jpg

ATWORK017.jpg

ATWORK018.jpg

d180man

Hi nice photos duke! :notworthy: :thumbs:

Confused99

I should take a picture of my garage and show you how I shoe horned 1 vehicle in with the tractors. I would never be able to get 2 in mine. I think she has plenty of room.

Jason

Don1977

Okay I don't want no damn laughs but I had to play with it a bit tonight! biggrin.gif The past few days I have been working out in the garage trying to get the front part cleaned up enough to get our vehicles in and see how things will fit. I have no problems getting mine in and out after MJ's car and the Snow Chucker is in there but MJ bitched and said she thinks she will wipe out the side of her car dry.gif maybe Ill back her car in each night but that wont work cause she will be against the cabinets and wont be able to get out of her car. whtractor/dunno.gif well all I can say is she will learn to love it or else! whtractor/whistling2.gif Ill be damn if I did all this work to let our vehicles set outside this winter! I built that garage in 1990 and I would honestly say we have both only parked our vehicles in there during that time for about a total of 3 months at different times in that 19 years! whtractor/omg.gif

Now is the time to add a Wheel Horse bay or two to the garage. :notworthy::thumbs: :WRS:

Gerry w

"but I had to play with it a bit tonight! " Dirtyest thing Ive read in a long time!!

Really though, your garage looks great, there seems to be lots of room, and I wish I had some of those cabinets! Great pics, can't wait to see how it does with some real snow fall!

Suburban 550

Duke, better send MJ back to drivin' school. You can park a bus in there. BTW, I am laughing. :notworthy:

stevasaurus

We are ready Duke...bring it on. :notworthy: I know at my house, whose vehical would be parked outside.....mine :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Thanks D180, Confused & Don! :) You guys really tickle me! Gerry you have a dirty mind just like me! :banghead: Yer my kinda guy! :WRS: Ray maybe I should just give MJ's Honda a Rap with sluggo and get it over with! Once its dented and Bucked Up real good, then a little scratch against my BBQ smokers on the right side of the garage would be meaningless!

Well, I had a little fun last night decided to get some more seat time in and went out and did a little practicing. The snow was really wet BIG GOBS was sticking to my snow shovel and that told me the story when I was doing a little edging in front of the garage door. I knew it was gonna be a pisser, Well I was right as you will see by the MOVIES of the Snow Machine in action that it wasn't coming out the chute very well. That was partly due to the clutch slipping! I looked down out the front window last night and seen the belt slow down and stop and the auger was getting plugged. I noticed when I lifted the blower up it tightened the belt :notworthy: A few times I turned off the auger got out of the cab and manually clear the chute. I Then was able to clear the chute by lifting up the blower with the hydro turning off the PTO letting the auger stop, and restarting, the lodged snow would then come out. I guess this all is a learning process with a new piece of equipment. I went to bed last night and laid there and did some thinking! Something just wasn't right with that belt?????? It felt tight..... But why was it slowing down, and why was that snow look like it was just barely pouring out the chute! :thumbs: Well sometimes it does a body good to walk away for awhile. Clear your mind and come back to a problem. I don't know how many times I have done that with problems on a furnace or A/C!

WELL IT WORKED! This morning I woke up with an Idea that the PTO was slipping! Sure Enough I pulled the Hair Pin on the threaded adjustment linkage on PTO turned it in 3 Turns Put it back on and I was IN LIKE FLYNN. I took it across the street and gave My neighbor lady Caroline a Blow Job! Maybe the Ole Duke might get some Christmas Cookies or Sump tin else! :banghead: Well the snow was still heavy but it did much much better no plug ups, but none of this launching over the roof thing like Dales Brothers tractor did. But I was much happier.

Anyway here are my test results! The Good... And The bad... and what else I think I need to do after these couple outings of testing.

What I Need.

1) I have about 160 lbs of weight on the rear I am thinking about 50lbs more!

2) I need some weight in the front maybe 25 lbs or so a wheel what do you guys think? And what Kind? or how do I go about it?

3) The Cab with a Blower is the ONLY WAY TO GO! But A hard surface windshield and wiper is a must also . (this will need to be designed and fabricated from scratch!)

How Everything Else Performed

1) The Lights Worked Fantastic! :banghead:

2) The Heater Worked Good at a 10 deg outside air temp, it was 50 degrees inside the cab. I was comfortable with a jacket, Tennis Shoes, Light Gloves on!

3) Controls on the Chute worked Flawless Plenty Fast Enough. Very adjustable, But like anything else it just takes some getting used to. Over time I am sure it will become second nature.

4) Strobe! WoW The Ecco brand works fantastic. Plenty of light and it will keep you safe!

5) The C-120 Automatic I like it! I can see where it is an advantage over shifting in this application. There is more infinite control in the speed without reducing throttle which would in turn affect the blowers auger speed.

6) The Engine feels like it has plenty of power, and yes I haven't had a deep snow to attest to yet But I'm sure if you want to take a full 44" bite every swipe and in 24" deep snow at full speed a 20 HP would be the ticket! I think I will look for a K-341 16 hp for it someday as an upgrade, but it isn't at the top of my list of things to do at this point.

7) Chains are the way to go!

OK here are a couple Movies MJ was getting into ACTION filming with her Camera and I blasted her a couple times with snow! :hide: Ooooopps! :USA: As you will tell the lights were fantastic and you will see the snow was heavy and the PTO clutch was slipping. I also got the pattern down on how to do the drive since I am pinned in with the trailer and Motor Home I start at that side and blow everything a little twords the house and straight ahead. Once I get to the rear of the RV I can blow either way. I did it this morning and it worked out great! Anyways here are the Videos tell me what ya think! :thumbs2:

Duke's Snow Machine At Work Movie.

Duke's Snow Machine At Work Movie (2)

Duke's Snow Machine At Work Movie (3)

Save Old Iron

So buy my calculations, counting the snowflakes in the pics and dividing by the $$ amount invested in the tractor, it only cost 2 - 3$ per snowflake to remove them from your driveway ??

Big time :notworthy:

Very interesting to follow the "evolution" of this post.

Great project.

BPC23

Duke, you've done some impressive work here! I estimate you're missing only two features though; a coffee maker and cinnamon bun warming drawer!

In all seriousness, you've done very nice work.

Sincerely,

Brian

WH Raider 10

Duke,

How did the engine hold up when you were doing this?

:notworthy: Dan B.

Suburban 550

Crazy Old Man. :thumbs: Looks like MJ would make it big as a movie producer. :WRS: You as a snowblower operator, we'll have to wait and see. :) Looks good, my friend. :notworthy:

Confused99

I had the slipping PTO problem with my Raider this summer while mowing. I figured it out while grinding up leaves this fall. Now I can drag the motor down instead of slipping.

My guess is your need for a wiper and hard windshield come from the heated cab and cold outside temps. I have never used a cab (yet) so my guess could apply to non-heated cabs too.

Jason

HorseFixer

:WRS: Thanks Guys! Dan the motor held up good as far as I could tell. Ole' Iron not too bad if you cosider the Quad Zillion snow flakes you will end up counting over the next several years :thumbs: That aught to bring that cost down a bit! :notworthy: The cost is allways a factor I suppose :) but I enjoy designing & building & fabricating things myself that are truely different and in turn sharing my experiences. I may save someone some $$ & head aches that I have had along the way!

wh1257

dads cool let snow

stevasaurus

Fantastic vedios MJ...will worth the wiat Duke. :notworthy: What a great feeling,when

you make something of your own and it actually works great. :thumbs:

Curmudgeon

too bad you didn't get all that crappy white stuff we did. You would have a great time blowing snow here, it's plenty deep enough to work that little 12 horse!

Those lights sure looked bright!!

Sparky

I just watched the videos Duke and it seems to work well although its only a couple inches of snow. I do think that you have the blower feet set to low and I would raise them and let the blower get closer to the driveway.

Mike...........