HorseFixer

Dukes Snow Blower Automation

HorseFixer

I have been working on my Snow Blower and one of the main things I have been wanting to do is motorize the chute, Right, Left Up and down. I used a Window Motor. (Kelly's Idea he gave me) :scratchead: I made a stainless steel mounting bracket for the motor and have the motor mounted. This is what I have done So Far.

PA210007.jpg

PA210010.jpg

PA210015.jpg

PA220016.jpg

PA220017.jpg

PA220019.jpg

th_MotorizedChute.jpg

TJ

I like it. :scratchead:

JimD

nice fab job there duke! works like a charm :scratchead:

Save Old Iron

Way cool :scratchead::hide:

Do I see a set of limit switches in the future ??

perry

nice work duke :scratchead: . you should build a box/cover over the motor to keep the snow off it.

i have 2 factory simplicity electric chute rotator setups. they used GM window motors.

bitten

Duke

Great idea. I might have to steal that one for the blower on my D. Just add a double pull double throw switch and you are in.

P.J.

Nice weld on that stainless.

fireman

Duke,

Nice job :scratchead: . Your welding looks great. I think it's time for me to go tig.

Duvall

Very nice. :hide:

I am still trying to get the leaf collector together.

Have yet to work on my blower. :scratchead:

CasualObserver

Duke, now that's just damn cool !! Now, between that and the cab... theoretically, you "should" be able to clear the driveway without even actually touching snow! I agree with Perry... some sort of shroud to keep snow/water out of that motor will be imperative! Nice job! Now... how about a spare throttle cable for controlling the up and down? :scratchead:

Oh... and did you leave in any sort of manual override in case your motor does short out?

WHC-125

Looks really good Duke! Bet ya cant wait to use it in a blizzard :scratchead:

wallfish

Nice !!!!!!

I used an actuator motor to turn the drum on my cable style chute. I bet that window motor is faster. If you are considering using a cable for the up/down of the chute, here's a nice one from Surplus Center. I bought one a while back but can't remember what it was for :scratchead: It is definately heavy duty enough.

stevasaurus

Duke...that is way cool...just think, if you did a remote control for the horse,

you could sit in a lawn chair just inside your garage and "git er dun" :scratchead:

this guy at the show in LeSeur had a remote control garden tractor...he sat in a wagon being pulled by the tractor...had a box he hand held with switches and was going around the show grounds. Did the steering, throttle, and could shift gears with the box. radio controled. :hide:

kpinnc

Seems to work great Duke! VERY cool indeed! :hide:

Now if I only had a use for s snow blower down here! :scratchead:

Kevin

Coadster32

I agree, looks great! Cool idea :scratchead:

Sparky

Now thats a fine bit-of-engineering there Duke :scratchead: !

If your ever out this way I'll let ya "mod" my sno-chucker :hide: .

Mike...........

MikesRJ

When's the motorized Up/Down (raise/lower?) mod going in?

:scratchead:

whfan74

:scratchead: That is one pretty slick modification you have done their Duke!

That shoot moves pretty quick as well.

You going to be wearing a t-shirt and shorts in that their snow cab this winter? I thought the fun of blowing snow was the ability to freeze the snot right below your nose?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :hide:

Thanks for the pics and the video!

bk-scouter

LOVE IT !! Very cool, nice job. :scratchead:

GlenPettit

Patent time . . . . Beautiful and functional.

can whlvr

great job and real nice beads there,its a great thing especially with the snowcab,wont be so tight in there!!

HorseFixer

Duke, now that's just damn cool !! I agree with Perry... some sort of shroud to keep snow/water out of that motor will be imperative! Nice job! Now... how about a spare throttle cable for controlling the up and down? :whistle:

Oh... and did you leave in any sort of manual override in case your motor does short out?

Thank Guy's but I have to come clean here, this is not my Idea! :scratchead: The first time I had seen this was when it was posted by my Pal Dale Garver (ThirdRock) Below is a picture of his brother Lyles machine. If you look closely he used a Winshield wiper Motor And an actuator like I will be useing. When finished mine will look kinda like the one below it will have overhead lights and Strobe and my snow cab is just like his. Mine will not have the rear box blade. One thing I will be doing is I plan on ducting heat in off the shroud of the engine or exhaust with a fan with fresh air, this will keep the cab somewhat is a postive air pressure and should solve any fogging problems. Future plans include lexan windshield with wiper motor. :whistle: Ok well yes some kind of shroud over the motor may be in order even tho the motor is sealed. I will probably use a rubber innertube or something. You have to figure the motor is down in a door and water runs down the window so they are pretty weather proof. The other thing is my garage is heated and stays at 40 deg, so things will dry out. The chute up ad down motion will be controlled by a 8" actuator exactly the distance from full up and down for the vertical motion. Here is a picture of the 12V 8" actuator I will be useing.

Potentiometer20actuator.jpg

The machine below is a C160 with a 20 hp Onan Transplant. From what has been written on this tractor weighs in right at 2000 lbs with driver! WoW!

snowremover.jpg

Here is the Ultimate Snow Machine in action! :omg: Dont like the snow in the front yard? :dunno: no problem! Blow it in the back plum over the house! Now you know why I wanted a 2 stage tall chute! :ychain: And yes eventually I will be useing the 417A with a 20Hp magnum transplant! :whistle:

blowingsnow.jpg

Jason it would be pretty hard to rotate the chute with the mptor linkage hooked up so i will most likely keep some spares on the shelf :thumbs2:

P.J. I have two MOMENTARY double pole double throw rocker switches for the motors and three more matching single pole single throw switches for the overhead lights, strobe and heater fan. May need to get another for an electric PTO clutch :whistle:

wh500special

Nice work Duke!

If you can stomach leaving the tractor an unheated portion of the shop you might find that the snow will flow better out of the cold thrower housing rather than melting and sticking to the warm one...of course that adds a whole other layer of problems to deal with since the whole tractor will be ice cold.

I've often thought of using Volkswagon exhaust heater boxes from an air cooled beetle. Seems like a reasonably safe way to duct exhaust heat into the cab. Or I suppose you could just vent the exhaust in the cab and hold your breath for a while :hide: .

This may present an "overcooling" problem, but after you make the M20 swap into the 417, I wonder if it is possible to use a remote oil cooler kit to plumb engine oil thru a heat exchanger in the cab :scratchead: . Blow a fan across it and you'll have heat from the engine similarly to a heater core from a water cooled engine.

Might not be many btu/hr, but would probably keep some of the frost off the windows. Again, my only worry would be preventing the engine from warming up properly.

Again, nice work! But remember, the better prepared for another Blizzard of '78 you are the less likely it will happen!

Steve

KyBlue

Good job duke.. Borrowed idea or not, still pulled it off. :scratchead:

bell

That's pretty SLICK Bob!!! Fantastic job! :scratchead:

Suburban 550

I knew you would figure it out sooner or later. :ychain: Great idea, borrowed or not. :ychain: You'll probably need to install a 140 amp alternator to run all your extra accessories. :hide: Lookin' good my friend. :scratchead: