Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

11Hp Briggs carb ajustment

sgtsampay

Hi all. As you all know, i jsut got myself my first tractor. Well as I was cutting grass yesterday, I noticed that it seemed to be running rich. It will die at idle, cough/black smoke when going from idle to full trottle. So I reached over and moved the little screw under the carb bowl until it would run normal and idle correctly. Now that it running fine, I noticed that it sounds like its misfiring. I'm not positive but i think it is. Also, the misfiring is not very offen but kinda like a few times every min. I did also check the compression of the piston and got about 6lbs which means it good on compression because of the Briggs compression release mech. I also looked at the plug nad saw that it was a little sooty and was starting to turn light tan, which I take is that it was running rich and now is starting to run fine and the plug is tring to clean itself. Now, my question is did I ajust it it correctly. Like was the right screw to turn? Also, what does the little screw do thats on the govenor arm and is bounching when the engine is running. I moved it a little and I think it rev a little higher but i'm not sure since that was before the carb ajustment as I though that was the screw. So, can you guys give me some info? thanks.

sgtsampay

OK. So after a Seafoam treatment and lots of fiddling around with the screws, I got it to run and purr like a kitten. It runs perfecy now and is so smooth at all RPMS. I'm so happy. And no miss fires!

stevasaurus

I was reading your post and was going to help with what little I know...

and I scroll down and see you fixed it. :scratchead: Most of the carbs are

pretty simple...and cleaning them is usually what is wrong. I think

Sea Foam can be used for anything...might even season a grilled steak. :hide: