Sign in to follow this  
bork

1057 engine oil level

bork

I hate to assume things but how does one check the oil level? I see a big square plug on the same side as PTO ., no dip stick. I feel so stupid, I did do a search & no luck. I dont have a manual. tomorrow I should be able to try & start after 10 years of sittin. (carb & fuel line gone thru & clean tank.) Got spark! just waiting on oil answer. Thanks

N.C. horserider

Here is where to check oil:

Also here's the link for the lubrication manual:

oilplug.jpg

bork

mike, thanks so much!!!!!! I tried to copy the PDF file to my pc. Hope I can figure it out!

linen beige

Bork, If you pull that plug and there is no dipstick on it DON'T START THE ENGINE YET!

Make double sure the dipstick hasn't fallen out of the plug and down into the oil sump. If it is rolling around in there and you fire it up it's very likely that bad things will happen.

bork

Is the stick falling off a common problem? If it is attached, should I do some thing to prevent future problem? Thanks :scratchead:

linen beige

Is the stick falling off a common problem? If it is attached, should I do some thing to prevent future problem? Thanks :scratchead:

I've only seen it a couple of times so I doubt it's common. Your post made me think perhaps you had removed the plug and not found a stick attatched to it and maybe didn't know there should be one there.

On a side note, If you follow Kohler's instructions to the letter you will get an improper reading. Since screwing the plug into the block lowers the stick further into the sump, simply unscrewing the plug and resting it against the plug's lower shoulder as written results in a high reading. You should pull the stick out of the block and wipe it off before resting it on it's shoulder.

I also noticed your engine has been sitting for ten years. You should change the oil before you start it to ensure the pan isn't full of sludge from ten years of condensation settling to the bottom.