Sign in to follow this  
Crow Horse

Changing Gear Lube Weight...??

Crow Horse

Is it an accepted practice to go from the recommended 90-140w gear lube to 75-90w in the winter months? Last year the temp dipped to a wicked -20

Sarge

Should work just fine and will probably shift a lot easier.

Sarge

Indy w h

Crow, I use 80-90 year round in Indiana. We have some strange

seasons but i have no problem

Indy

Crow Horse

Good deal then. I'll go with the 80-90w GL. OR, would a synthetic 75-90w be OK as well?

KeithB

Some guys in GT pullers use ATF or 30 wt

Sarge

The synthetic is a good idea and will help with shifting/warmup in cold weather for sure.

Not to mention it will benefit for those "hill climbs" you seem to like...

Sarge

gwgdog66

I put synthetic in mine. at the biggining of the season. No issues, but it don't get 20 below where I live either.

Crow Horse

I'm a big advocate of synthetic lubricants yet on an old machine I was concerned about seals that might have become conditioned to dino lubes and or have "false" seals and the synthetic lube might "wash" away the false seals or create an issue with the seal itself.

I changed to 75-90w synthetic and it shifts smoother. Hopefully the trans-axle likes it as well......... So far, no leaks. Life is good.......

HorseFixer

I'm a big advocate of synthetic lubricants yet on an old machine I was concerned about seals that might have become conditioned to dino lubes and or have "false" seals and the synthetic lube might "wash" away the false seals or create an issue with the seal itself.

I changed to 75-90w synthetic and it shifts smoother. Hopefully the trans-axle likes it as well......... So far, no leaks. Life is good.......

One thing for sure! You have to get rid of a FALSE seal in order to get a TRUE Seal! :scratchead: