Sign in to follow this  
fackovec

C-125 Auto stalls with PTO use????

fackovec

Hey all:

I had the rare afternoon to myself today to I had hoped get the C-125 running once and for all.

The saga so far:

Repl the coil, spark plug, points, head gasket, regulator, ignition switch and harness, amp .meter, battery, battery cables, and fuel filters.

It ran OK once I put all those goodies in. I hit a stump while mowing and broke the drive belt. - Replaced the belt and noticed that the isolation mounts were rotted away, replaced them.

Now I went get it going and a "buddy" tried fiddling with the carb adjustment to make "it run better"....... After throwing a wrench at him, I then reset it to factory recommendations and that brings me to my current problem:

The machine starts fine, (seems to need more choke than it used to), it will drive well on a level surface. When the PTO is engaged to run the deck or I try to go up hill, it bogs down the engine rapidly and dies. (it is not the seat switch- First thing I checked). It makes a poping sound sometimes if that means anything. It will restart immediately, and do the same thing over and over.

My two guesses are the carb being bad after being tinkered with, or the fuel pump being weak...

Before I go and replace them I throw my self at the feet of the schooled masses for help.....

Any ideas?

Best

Hank

Londonderry, NH

Irv

First thing I would look at is the governor linkage. make sure it's not stuck or somethings disconected.

stevebo

I did not see anything about taking the carb off and cleaning it? I would start there. You may have some dirt in the bowl which is common and that will lead to loss of power/stalling. A carb kit is about $13 at napa. Easy job after everthing you have already done. :scratchead:

RAMJET

You mentioned that you hit a stump. Did you check the deck and blades for damage? Possible bent blade locking the deck?

fackovec

Brilliant sugestion on the bent blade!!!! I will look under it tommorow

Thanks

Hank

kpinnc

If you broke the first belt, you may have also damaged a spindle or bearing. I bent a spindle on a 37SD once, and it bogged down as well- But I would think you'd be smoking the belt before completely choking down the engine. :scratchead:

Kevin