Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Electro 12 Ign.

Kelly

On ebay right now joes outdoor has a 69 electro 12 he's parting I'm looking at the ign. for my 68 Electro 12 Is that the correct one? What all do I need? Ign. switch, wiring, stator, pick up, coil, flywheel.? am I missing anything? Or have too much? I'd like to put my Electro back orig. as close to 100% as I can That's the tractor I want to put all my GOOD stuff on NOS parts, White walls everything that would have and could have came on it, on it. To be my show piece. and right now it has batt. ign. It's a very clean tractor.

perry

i was just looking at that ignition myself. are the 68's just a 3 prong :thumbs:

i need a 3 prong for the 1277. i had found a working one on my shelf but the key keeps falling out :thumbs:

TT

On ebay right now joes outdoor has a 69 electro 12 he's parting I'm looking at the ign. for my 68 Electro 12 Is that the correct one? What all do I need? Ign. switch, wiring, stator, pick up, coil, flywheel.? am I missing anything? Or have too much? I'd like to put my Electro back orig. as close to 100% as I can That's the tractor I want to put all my GOOD stuff on NOS parts, White walls everything that would have and could have came on it, on it. To be my show piece. and right now it has batt. ign. It's a very clean tractor.

Don't jump to deep in to this ignition change just yet, Kelly.

If you get a chance to pull the flywheel off your '68, I'd like to see what's under it.

:thumbs:

TT

i was just looking at that ignition myself. are the 68's just a 3 prong :thumbs:

i need a 3 prong for the 1277. i had found a working one on my shelf but the key keeps falling out :thumbs:

Perry,

The three prong switch on your 1277 is for battery ignition. The "little" terminal would have power (12 volts to the coil) with the key in the "run" and "start" position.

The three prong switch on the Electro that Joe is parting out is a grounding type switch. The "little" terminal is grounded to the metal of the tractor when the switch is in the "off" position (shorts the coil -- like a push mower engine) and "open" when in the "run" and "start" position.

Kelly

Maybe I can do that this weekend, What are we looking for? :scratchead:Do you think this might have came with batt. ign.?

Perry I have a ign. switch just like yours, its a bummer to, mine looks like new and I paid $10 shipped off ebay for it :banghead:Win some lose some <_<

TT

Maybe I can do that this weekend, What are we looking for? :scratchead:Do you think this might have came with batt. ign.?

I'd like to see what style the bearing plate and stator are, and what the back side of the flywheel looks like.

I'm hoping (for your sake) that it could be original with battery ignition. I'm still researching this stuff from before -- and still not getting very far yet. :thumbs:

Kelly

I will put that on top of my list for this weekend. I don't want to miss the parts but I don't want to buy parts I don't need spending my WH fund, Not that I wouldn't use it someday and if I pack them up good be worth more in years to come. Thanks TT let me know if you find out more.

Kelly

TT you know what The guy I got it from put a used rod in it from a JD and when he pulled the motor apart he changed the alum. plate I don't know why?, but I got the old JD motor, he put it back together I noticed it had the red plate on that engine, This maybe easier than I was thinking. That engine is sitting on the floor. I'll keep you posted.

TT

It may have been as simple as stripped out blower housing mounting bolt holes.....

Or it may mean an ignition system change. :thumbs:

I'm curious to see what you discover.

Kelly

TT I don't think this guy could figure out how to change the ign. over, Very nice guy but, I bought 2 tractors from him, not very mech. inclind To start with he paid $150 for a engine to take the rod out of. He put it together drove it once, and it knoxs very loud I'm not sure yet what he did wrong.Rod I'm sure. He said He didn't think it was that bad.

Anyway I'll pull some parts today, and let you know what I find.

TT

Yeah..... it doesn't sound like he was responsible for an ignition change. :thumbs:

Maybe he cracked the original bearing plate trying to get it apart? (even though you don't have to remove it to change a connecting rod. :thumbs: )

Kelly

TT, I pulled the flywheel off the parts engine that came with the tractor, Guess what almost all the parts are there to make it a mag. ign. :D

So I got ahold of the guy he, broke the stator :thumbs: , So he got someone to tell him how to put the JD batt. ign. on it, that's why he changed the back plate. to bad he cut up the wiring harness. :thumbs:

So remembering the post somewhere else here, mine also had mag. ign.the ign. on ebay will not be right that is breakerless or soild state.

I will put it back to orig. as I said this tractor will be a close to 100% resto.

Now I need a stator for the mag. and maybe a wiring harness. :P anyone?

As a second note Kohler started using ACR in 65 I could not find out when in the year or what engines. but that 65 was the first year.

Kelly

By the way watch putting JD parts on your horse, they seem to reject them in one way or another.

TT

TT, I pulled the flywheel off the parts engine that came with the tractor, Guess what almost all the parts are there to make it a mag. ign. :thumbs:

So remembering the post somewhere else here, mine also had mag. ign.the ign. on ebay will not be right that is breakerless or soild state.

Now I need a stator for the mag. and maybe a wiring harness.

Did it look like this ?

magign301.jpg

(hopefully your coil is still there and it's good :D )

The wiring harness should be able to be repaired, as it would only be one wire to change at the engine, and you'll need the correct ignition switch. (the one Joe has on ebay will work)

And don't forget -- Kohler parts are Kohler parts. They aren't offended by tractor color. :thumbs:

Kelly

I think mine looks just like that but not that clean, How do I check the coil? He cut the wiring up pretty good, put in togle switches and used the elect. pto switch to turn on the ign. I think the factory ign. switch is orig. used that to run the starter.

Here's mine 100_1226.jpg

Do you want to get rid of the one you have? Or did you say the stator was bad?

TT

I can't remember if the stator was bad or if it was the rectifier/regulator. :thumbs:

It didn't have spark when I bought it so I put a battery coil on it right away. Eventually it quit charging and we were pressed for time (the night before the tractor pull at the local show) so I stuck everything off a '77 C-120 on the engine and got it to charge again.

I'm going to check some sources and see if I can find you a good (or NOS) stator.

In the meantime, you should be able to stick that stuff back on the engine and turn it over to check for spark. :thumbs:

OR.......

I have another brainstorm that I'll throw at you in a little bit. :D

Kelly

Terry did that brain storm ever come? Or is that a case of CRS? I know I have that or that's what the wife tells me.

TT

Terry did that brain storm ever come? Or is that a case of CRS? I know I have that or that's what the wife tells me.

Here's what I had in mind, Kelly.....

An old friend of mine had a '52 Indian Chief motorcycle that quit charging. (they weren't the best set-up anyway :thumbs: ) He did some research and found a company that manufactured a small alternator that fit inside the original Indian generator case and was totally undetectable.

Now...... what I was thinking -- because it's going to be real tough to find a function-guaranteed stator -- would be to install the "normal" style 15 amp stator and flywheel (probably what you have now) so the charging system works correctly. The rectifier/regulator will be "hidden" in the hoodstand and probably looks the same too, so that's no big deal.

And...... :D

Here's the questionable part -- mount a smaller 12 volt coil under the blower housing (above the flywheel?) so all of the wires will run inside like they are supposed to, but there won't be a visible coil on the outside. I'm thinking one from an older Harley Davidson motorcycle would be compact enough to fit inside and you'd just have to insulate one tower. (fill it full of black silicone) The air from the flywheel fan would keep the coil cool, and the air could still get to the fins on the engine. Another coil that might work would be one from a British cycle like this one:

12 volt coil on ebay

Maybe the whole idea is "off the wall", but it might be something to think about. :thumbs:

TT

Kelly !

There's a Magneto/stator on ebay right now ! :thumbs:

Magneto for Kohler

Kelly

Thanks TT I already have it in watch. And I emailed him he said it's from a running engine, but didn't know if it was charging. He said he wasn't the owner.