Sign in to follow this  
N.C. horserider

K181 governer

N.C. horserider

I had what a I thought was a ticking valve. I went to start it and no go found that the governer arm is fully opened and does not return the carb to the idle position. The engine ran fine two days ago so I'm believing the ticking was maybe something internal and let go. The throttle cable also doesn't have any response when moving it up and down it doesn't move the arm like it did before.

002-7.jpg

001-6.jpg

This is where the arm and carb should be when off.

003-8.jpg

There is a lot of like spring tension to push the arm back and I know that isn't right any ideas on what may have gone wrong and will it have to be taken apart ?

N.C. horserider

Could this possibly be that the gear has gone out and it pushing against the counterweights?

TT

Loosen the pinch bolt and remove the arm so you can turn the shaft. It should turn a little each direction and stop.

If it does, install the arm and reset it. (pull arm away from carb while turning shaft CCW and tighten the pinch bolt)

It's normal for the throttle plate to be open slightly when the engine isn't running. Once it starts, the governor will close it.

If you want to actually look inside and see what's going on, remove the expansion plug on the side of the block. (behind the muffler) You'll need to buy a new one since they can't be reused. (P/N X-230-11-S - only about $1 from Kohler)

buckrancher

Loosen the pinch bolt and remove the arm so you can turn the shaft. It should turn a little each direction and stop.

If it does, install the arm and reset it. (pull arm away from carb while turning shaft CCW and tighten the pinch bolt)

It's normal for the throttle plate to be open slightly when the engine isn't running. Once it starts, the governor will close it.

If you want to actually look inside and see what's going on, remove the expansion plug on the side of the block. (behind the muffler) You'll need to buy a new one since they can't be reused. (P/N X-230-11-S - only about $1 from Kohler)

If you can turn it more than alittle. like around 360 degrees the little

metal tang is broken off the shaft :scratchead:

but it sounds like the arm has slipped on the shaft

N.C. horserider

I'll give that a try tomorrow thanks guys, if not I'll post back.

KyBlue

Since you havent posted again, I guess that fixed it for ya???

N.C. horserider

Yes I found it, the throttle cable came out of the slot on the control behind dash, so the cable couldn't move the governer arm that's why it was stuck open.

tranders

I thought the cable was supposed to hook into the tab on the disk.

Just curious to others thoughts.