Save Old Iron

Indicator Lites

I stumbled across this thread. Really enjoying reading about it.

Thanks for posting.

Glenn

:text-yeahthat:  :text-+1:

I had forgotten how much I enjoy electrical work. In the beginning, I started to diagnose the issues in my head, before I would read what you had wrote as a cause/issue and solution... Needless to say, since I do not work on this stuff regularly, I only got about 50% of the answers correct. BTW - great job on the repairs of the board....

I realize most soldering irons work just fine, I was wondering, what type you use. While in the Air Force we had a model that had interchangeable heads. (1) particular head had (2) evenly forked point, looked like a "u". The "u" portion allowed you to solder, or de-solder, (2) contact points at the same time. It also had multiple settings on the handle of the gun..... Something similar to a welding unit. Based upon the type of solder you used and what you were soldering, you then selected the proper setting on the handle.... Would you by chance know of any gun similar to that being produced today? After reading this, it has reignited my passion for electrical work.

Thanks again!

Rob

Personally, I have at least a dozen different soldering stations and each one has advantages and drawbacks.

For a hobby level user, I would have you check out this station and its accessories.

http://www.mpja.com/Solder-Station-with-LED-Display-ZD-929C/productinfo/15845%20TL/

If I had to guarantee satisfaction with a product used in more professional settings with 8 hour a day 5 days a week reliability needs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-Station-FREE-SHIPPING-WIRE-SOLDER-SAMPLE/261527253272?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D43baececa86947daaae30f07041e635a%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D380911584152

• Like 2

and stay away from lead free solder. seems contrary to lead health warnings but lead free solders are an absolute pain to desolder and require more intense heat to solder components onto a board - leading to possible damage to the board or components.

Kester 44 is the long time standard for rosin core solders

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R4.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xkester+&_nkw=kester+44&_sacat=0

• Like 2

I really ought do a layout for this and make some boards - are they easy to come by or in demand?