Sign in to follow this  
zuiko_e1

Tiller question

zuiko_e1

I have a 1985 417-A, I recently aquired an old tiller for it. When I use the tiller, it barely scrapes the top soil. How do I get it to dig, I even tried it after a nice rain and it still just scrapes off the top. I cannot get it to dig into the ground. Please Help!!

Thanks

brentonkjohnson

Is your soil compacted clay like mine?

pfrederi

Is the lift chain slack when you have lowered the tiller??? If not lengthen the chain.

What do your tines look like are they badly worn (e.g. pointy ends???)

92Pony

Also, does yours have the large helper spring running from the tiller to the rear of your tractor? When that was on mine, it was getting in the way and not allowing the tiller to drop all the way down (hard to explain).

If you can, post a few pics of what's going on.......

KyBlue

Photo's would be a help. Might be as pointed out, Worn and Dull Tines, not enough Slack in the chain, or any number of other little things.

zuiko_e1

My soil is a hard clay (loam), and my tines are rounded, an older farmer here told me the tines looked good to him. Also a mechanic told me that I was not getting full RPMs due to a bad throttle cable. Could the RPM issue be a big factor in this?

bitten

Hello

Yes you want full RPM to run your tiller. Look to see if the problem is anything that was said before. You might want to try lowering it in one place and holding the tractor still and see if it will dig down and then useing that as a starting place. After it has a good start then try moving forward and see if that helps.

Good luck,

P.J.

Horse Fanatic

Make sure the tiller tines are not reversed which would make them face backwards. Don't laugh, I've seen it.