Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

She's home!

TT

Still looking for an answer to yesterdays question.

Did you look at the Kohler manual yet?

You'll need to (at least) pull the blower housing off and see why there are two wires coming out of the front by the carb.

The correct stator will have 3 leads - one of which powers the ignition system and two that supply charging system power to the R/R.

The single lead goes to the "A" terminal on the trigger module above the flywheel and another wire connects the "I" terminal on the trigger with the single terminal on the bottom of the ignition coil. The kill wire is normally crimped in with the wire from the trigger to the coil and is grounded to stop the spark. The kill wire usually has an inline resistor but will work without it. Here's what it written in the manual about the resistor:

In some applications a 22 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor has been placed between the key switch and the ignition coil. This has been added to prevent current feedback through a dirty or wet switch. This feedback, if not held in check by a resistor, can damage the trigger unit.

If any or all of these pieces have been incorrectly wired or battery power has been applied to any terminal, things are probably fried. Providing the block is drilled for it, it's usually cheaper and easier to convert to "conventional" battery ignition.

Sparky

If any or all of these pieces have been incorrectly wired or battery power has been applied to any terminal, things are probably fried. Providing the block is drilled for it, it's usually cheaper and easier to convert to "conventional" battery ignition.

I have to agree with what TT said. I cooked the same setup in a Charger 12 that used to live here and ended up doing the conversion. The block was pre-drilled and it worked out great.

Mike..........

clintonnut

Hi everyone,

I tore into the ignition system today. Tested the trigger module and it is junk. I am NOT going to pay $154 for a new one so screw kohler. Does anyone have a good one. If you do please test it for me using the diode and scr test out of the kohler 23791 manual.

Thanks,

Charlie

wh1257

dad's a nice project

TT

Charlie......

All you need is THIS. :scratchead: