Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

She's home!

clintonnut

Jeff(fireman) gave me this tractor. Lots of rust but it has a good future. Jeff was also generous enough to include the mower deck and snowblade. The deck shell is in suprisingly good shape and now that I have 2 decks I can make one good one. The current plan for the 953 is to repaint the wheels and put 29x12.50x15 rear tires on it. It will also have a hopped up diesel engine installed and gas tank removed for lead weights. We will also make a fiberglass grille shell with headlight delete for it. It does roll which is a positive thing. The engine is a K321 but it is seized. Hopefully it isn't seized to bad and can be broken loose and run again.

Here's the tractor next to its step brother:

HPIM2972.jpg

Here's the mower deck. You can sorta see the snowblade in the backround.

HPIM2973.jpg

HorseFixer

Good Catch Charlie! :scratchead:

WHC-125

Good to see it went to a good home! :scratchead:

TJ

looks like a good project. :scratchead:

tractordave3128

you hav fun doin that.....look forward 2 seeing it when its dne haha

Suburban 550

Knowin' you Charlie, you'll have it up and runnin' in no time. :hide: Jeff, that was very thoughtful of you. :scratchead:

Indy w h

I've got a 1054 that I'm trying to get tires 4. U say that ur going to put

29/12.50/15's on it ??? Will they fit under the fenders?? All I do with mine

is I go to plow days & plow dirt. Just curious. Indy

bell

WOOO HOOO!!! It's going to be a BEAST Charlie! :scratchead:

Coadster32

Diamond in the rough!! :scratchead:

Michcruiser60

They make a nice pair. I like to find one more myself later, when the other projects get finished. One of my favorites.

Mich60

dkopp

What kind of diesel are you going to drop in that machine?

Gerry w

Looks like a before and after shot within the same frame! Nice looking rig, and quite nice barn too!

clintonnut

It's funny you said that Ray! I actually took the head off the engine and got it freed up. Would like to get it running this weekend.

I think the 12.50 tires will fit under it.

Today my dad and I decided to change the rear half of the tractor. Since the fenders are completly rotted out we are going to remove them and install GT-14 fenders to accomidate the larger tires. We might put Simplicity 9020 tires on it. Where the gas tank is we are going to put barbell mounts. Also the engine is going to be moved back 8 inches. The gas tank will be placed in the battery box (smaller tank)

I would like to find a Yanmar 10-12hp diesel for it.

Charlie

clintonnut

I am on chat if anyone wants to talk :scratchead:

Charlie

clintonnut

Made some progress today. I removed the stuck exhaust valve and put a good one out of a K301 in. These engines are notorious for bent valves. Put the head on and now have compression. The tractor is also back on 4 shoes again. Since I got the ag tires for the 1054, I put the GT-14 rims that were prevously on the 1054 onto the 953. The original tank is unfortunatley rusty but I might experiment with electrolysis and lime away later.

Tomorrow I am going to add a temporary gas tank, wire the ignition and get it running hopefully.

Charlie

TT

These engines are notorious for bent valves.

Huh? :scratchead:

Hmmmmm...... It must be a "first generation" 321 if you put a 301 exhaust valve in it.

nylyon

Looking forward to the pics (64)

KeithB

Good deal,. nice project :scratchead:

clintonnut

I was also wondering if someone could give me a good explanation on the ignition setup. It is battery powered ignition but it doesn't have the external points. Could someone explain how it should be hooked up? I do have the correct coil that is the same as the ones used on the electro 12's etc.

Charlie

TT

I was also wondering if someone could give me a good explanation on the ignition setup. It is battery powered ignition but it doesn't have the external points.

At NO TIME should 12VDC be hooked to ANY wire on the Kohler breakerless (solid state) ignition system. It is powered by a third wire (A.C.) from a special stator and is grounded (like a conventional magneto ignition) to kill the spark.

Kohler manual TP-2379 has a great description/explanation of this ignition system starting on page 8.4

clintonnut

Well I did some work on the engine today. I can't get a spark. I tested the coil resistance and it is perfect. There were two yellow wires coming out of the engine. They are seperate from the stator wires. I ran a wire from the coil through a kill switch and to one of the two wires. No spark. tested the other wire, No Spark. Is there some kind of external ignition thingy I am missing? Do I need to pull the flywheel and check it out?

Charlie

clintonnut

I got some pictures of the engine. It's just too cold to work in the barn right now. There are two wires on the left side of the engine (blue connectors) and two stator wires on the right side that are hooked to the regulator connector(wrapped around dipstick)

Here's a current picture of the tractor. I took the grille shell off to service the exhaust valve. Carburetor is good. Engine has some sort of knock when you turn it over. I hope it's not internal :scratchead: .

HPIM3009.jpg

HPIM3007.jpg

HPIM3008.jpg

HPIM3006.jpg

clintonnut

Still looking for an answer to yesterdays question.

:scratchead::hide::ychain:

Charlie

nylyon

I should have looked at the engine a little closer when it was here. On the coil, what wires are connected to it? I see the high tension, and only 1 other wire.

poodle

I would Kill for a 953 or 1054 your a lucky lucky man!