Sign in to follow this  
Buzz

Carburetor cleaners

Buzz

What brand carburetor cleaners, both in the spray cans and the gallon cans with the little basket, do you prefer? I had a gallon of the NAPA brand but I'm down to the last inch or so. I'm using Gumout in the spray can now but not really too impressed with it.

Sarge

I really don't care for any of them since the EPA took away all the good solvents . Thinking back to the "real" stuff that would eat your skin off in 30 seconds, the new stuff is a joke. Most carbs I've done in the last 10 years just get fully disassembled, remove all of the lead galley plugs and rod them out . Some, if really nasty get glass beaded with 400 grit in the cabinet, otherwise just a simple rinse with cheapo brake cleaner and blast of 150 psi air . Reassemble, re-lead the galleys and re-install it ...

Sarge

Rod(NASNUT)

All I use is Gumout in the spray can and an air blower it works good for me.

Suburban 550

Buzz, I use NAPA brand carburetor and throttle body cleaner in the spray cans. Seems to work pretty decent. Don't have the can right in front of me right now but I'm pretty sure that's the name on the can. :scratchead:

linen beige

I prefer Berryman's B-12 Chemtool in the spray. Berryman's Chem-dip for soaking.

I usually do a final rinse out with an airbrush full of laquer thinner.

Jim_M

I prefer Berryman's B-12 Chemtool in the spray. Berryman's Chem-dip for soaking.

I'll second that. I've had better luck with Chemtool than I have with Napa or Gumout.

sorekiwi

Berrymans in the gallon can is all I have used, but it seems to work well. IIRC it was also a lot cheaper than the equivalent from NAPA.

In aerosols it's hard to say. I try to look for something that states "Not for sale or use in California" as they seem to work better.

I havent used any for a few years, but the best stuff I used was a Gum-out "Small engine carb cleaner" that came in a small, green can. It worked awesome as a carb-cleaner, and was a really good engine starting fluid too (- it'd even make a Tecumseh start!! :scratchead: ) The last place I saw it for sale was in the lawn mower section at Lowes. It may have been "watered down" by now too.

formariz

I use the "Mighty" brand used by the local Exxon Gas station in town.I buy it by the case so it is very reasonable .This stuff immediately strips all of the paint off the outside so you can imagine how well it works.I always spray the parts in a large pan and then collect the liquid into a gallon can where I soak everything. Occasionally I filter that from all the gunk. I also dip gunked up with hard old grease in it and within minutes they are totally clean to the metal.